• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 and locakable gas caps

jimm1009

You will have to do away with with the military filler neck and find one for a civilian diesel Blazer or Jimmy as the military neck is oversized for a jet fuel nozzle and there are no military locking fuel caps. Other option would be to install a lock on the fuel cap access door tha is similar to a cabinet lock.
There are aftermarket locking fuel caps for gas versions but not so sure about diesel versions and they are different caps. Diesel nozzle at the every day gas station is larger in diameter and won't fit in a gas filler neck.
jimm1009

Ken_86gt

I am going to be adding a locking hasp on the fuel door, the kind you would find at the hardware store and put a padlock on it. This is very similar to what the military does on other vehicles. I have already had a cap stolen and don't want to lose another.

jimm1009

If you look at the door or cover for the fuel filler area you will see an indentation where it appears that there could be an optional door lock installed.
I have never searchd for this item but if this was a civilian option this could be a little more suttle (visible) but still effective if you chose to explore that route.
I don't blame anyone fro wanting to protect their fuel caps as these things are hard to find now days.
I bet there is a box of 10,000 somewhere in the military supply system wharehouse and no one knows what to do with them.

Has anyone explored LMC Truck or other suppliers for this optional part?
jimm1009

jimm1009

:ditto:on that. You have to remember that the military fuel cap is made for a much larger opening. Go to NAPA or Autozone or somewhere similar and ask to look at a cap for a Suburban or Jimmmy or Blazer with diesel engine and
try to fit it to your filler neck.
Sorry, but those caps will be a no-go.

jimm1009

jimm1009

I just called my Chevy dealer and they say that they can not price the cap and since they can not price it they can not order it.
The last time that I priced it was about 4 years ago but stupid me did not go ahead and purchase tow or three. auaaua
I say "B.S." they are still produced by a GM supplier but the key is too find the way into the system to be able to point it out to the dealer or find the manufacturer and contact them.
Another call to GM coming, I can smell it!
:roll:
jimm1009

Ken_86gt

Now that is funny, this truck hasn't been produced in about 25 years and you think that the spare parts that are military only are still produced! Good luck. I will you save you some trouble- the part number is in the TM and is 14063326.

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]ABKV[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]OUTSIDE DIAMETER[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]2.830 INCHES NOMINAL[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]
ABKW[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]OVERALL HEIGHT[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]2.725 INCHES NOMINAL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]AGEZ[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]RETAINING DEVICE TYPE[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]CHAIN[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]
AJQT[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]RETAINING DEVICE LENGTH[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]6.000 INCHES NOMINAL[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]
STYL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]STYLE DESIGNATOR[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]B41 THREADED TYPE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]75A[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]VEHICLE, COMMERCIAL UTILITY CARGO (CUCV)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]
ARN[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]SHIPBOARD MATERIAL HANDLING EQUIPMENT (MHE)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]
CDF[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]AIRCRAFT, T-39[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]
DGF[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]TRACTOR, AIRCRAFT TOWING, MB-4[/SIZE]

Last edited:

jimm1009

Thanks but that is the exact part number that I gave the dealer to trace for me.
I have the genuine microfich filmes that were created by GM for the military to compose their parts TMs from.
This genuine GM document is the source for the part number that was placed into the TM.

Last edited:

Wyofj40

No that one won't work unless you weld a pipe nipple with the correct threads on to you fill neck. That cap has female threads on it.

opusd2

I know the reply to a thread this old may or may not be pointless, but I will anyway since I just found it.

The size of the fill openings appear to be of appropriate size for quick filling by a fuel truck. I used to drive for an oil jobber as a delivery guy and used to do a lot of construction equipment fillings aside from my normal business, farm, and residential deliveries. And the size of the fill looks to be right to drop a full size nozzle in for filling off of a truck in the field.

Now I know I have seen fuel caps of that size and approximate thread size on some piece of equipment, I just can't remember what it would be. With a little time I am sure I could figure it out. I know I plan on keeping that particular nozzle sized opening, it's nice filling up quickly on the semi-tractor pumps.

Worst case scenario I put a lock on the door. But I will be searching other posts to see if some source has been figured out. I've been parked in places where people have tried to steal fuel from me as far back as '88 where an unsuccessful attempt at the fuel in my 73 Ford F100 4x4 would have deprived my thirsty 360 of hi test. Every vehicle I have ever known has had it's fuel locked down.

I hope there is a successful sourcing of a matched locking cap.

cpf240

Now I know I have seen fuel caps of that size and approximate thread size on some piece of equipment, I just can't remember what it would be. With a little time I am sure I could figure it out. I know I plan on keeping that particular nozzle sized opening, it's nice filling up quickly on the semi-tractor pumps.
Please let us know what you come up with, as I'd love to have a locking cap, not to mention another source of replacement caps!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks