• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Anti Sway bar bushings

Barrman

A few weeks ago Colton had driven RED to work at the airport. He texted asking if I could bring him a clean change of clothes since he had a date after work. I don't need an excuse to visit the airport, so I set off with his clothes to go look at planes.

It was very hot and I parked my a/c'ed and full of fuel M1009 next to his. I crawled around the plane he was working on, looked around and went to leave. He stopped me by asking if we could switch trucks. He said he heard a thunking noise whenever he hit a bump on the way to work and wanted me to see if I could figure out what it was.

I agreed and got into his out of fuel and very hot truck to go home. I hit every bump I could and didn't hear anything odd. I thought maybe he just wanted my a/c and was hearing noises in his head. Me filling it up crossed my mind as another motivator.

I kind of tore into him when he got home. He insisted a thumping noise was there. He spent the next few days finding exactly what speed and condition caused it. He took me for a ride and sure enough, a thunking noise that sounded like it was coming from the drivers front was there.

Wheel bearings good, leaf springs not broken, U bolts tight, drag link solid, tie rod solid and axle shaft u joint solid all checked out. I was laying under the truck thinking it was an inner fender issue when I grabbed the anti-sway bar to pull myself up. It moved and thunked. Found it!

Everything at both ends and both frame mounts looked good. Except, the drivers side end just had the ends of the 30 year old bushings there. Nothing was inside except the bolt and sleeve.

We went with the Energy Suspension poly urethane replacements. I couldn't feel a handling difference between his truck and mine when one end of his wasn't connected. I can't feel a difference between his truck and mine with the new bushings in either.

How fast and how tight of a turn do you have to be in before the anti sway bar actually does anything? All the old bushings were really bad, so I know it wasn't working like it should. Now I am starting to wish we had driven it around without the darn thing on there just to see if we could tell a difference.

Super simple install. Just think strong thoughts when you go to remove the end bolts. They are tight! My old geared press was needed to get the passenger side end bushing out. If you don't have a press, think that part through before you start this swap.

I figured others might have a sometime pretty loud thunking noise that they haven't traced yet. One more thing to look at now.

cucvrus

Get the impact out and remove the sway bar. Take the torch and cut the metal sleeve out of the sway bar ends. The rubber bushing will follow close behind. Clean it all up paint it ht pink and reinstall. The energy suspension bushings are a piece of cake to install. And they will last indefinitely. When you get done go onto all the spring bushings and shackle bushings. Have a party and get your friends to help. I just done 2 vehicles in one day. All the suspension bushings. I love the smell of burning rubber.

Barrman

I got the bushing swapped out. I was writting to demostrate a noise many might not think of and how little difference the new bushings made to the drive feel.

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When Casey and I lifted, installed crossover steering and a high steer drag link, there wasn't space for the sway bar so we took it completely off. I've noticed a little more body roll when taking faster corners but otherwise don't miss it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks