• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Approach/Advice?

WillCUCV

Howdy,

I am looking to be getting a '83-'86 M1009 Blazer in the near future, and I am a little unsure about the the vehicle's rated top speed. 55 mph safely just seems a little to slow for me to travel on ther interstate. I was looking at this vehicle to tow my drag car trailer to and from drag strips etc...
Now, being a hands on person i was thinking of methods to help remedy the fuel mileage/top speed/ rpm issue, but i also have questions concerning some of the parts of the vehicle.

Since the transmission is a TH400 3-speed auto, i was thinking of swapping in a 700R4 4-speed Auto tranny, or a built up T-5. I know the the 700R4 can be feasible, and will most likely be my choice in that case. With overdrive, the vehicle could gain a few more mpg and mph out of it.

Next is the ring and pinion ratio, i read somewhere on here that it is ......4.56 (i think i read that right), i was thinking of dropping the ratio to say, 3.73 or 3.54, is this doable, and if so what type of rear end is it? Is it still the standard GM 10 bolt?

Next would be the tire size, i read on here that increasing the tire size to 33s should increase the top speed as well. With the lowered gear ratio, should this rule of thumb still apply just fine?

Last, and most unlikely in my case, turbo.......I honestly am not sure if these came turboed or not, i searched several sites, and all i get is 6.2L diesel in them, so im assuming no turbo. Although this is an option, it is probably to expensive for what i want to invest in this vehicle.

Intention for the vehicle is a work truck/tow truck. With these things in mind, are they feasible? I can do almost all work myself, so no need to worry about shop costs, also i have a general idea of how much parts cost for these attempts. My over all hopes is for the vehicle to safely travel 70 MPH (without trailer) down the interstate. 60-65 MPH (with Trailer).

southdave

Just read on though here, use the search function it works about fifty percent of the time . IMO the best thng to do is visit all junkyards in your area find a civilian 6.2 or 6.5 with a 700r4 for a swap. Also banks make a turbo for the 6.2, and the turbo off 6.5 will work on 6.2 with some mods., nothing extreme. My bggest piece of advice is read everything you can get your hands, formulate a plan as u aquire parts, then read some more to back up your plan. good luck

WillCUCV

m1009 are 10 bolt axles with 3.08 gears. the m1008s have the 4.56 gears.
Thanks, that rear diff ratio clears up alot, if it is already 3.08, then not necessary to change the ratio then.

Well then i guess that boils down to the other options.

WillCUCV

IMO the best thng to do is visit all junkyards in your area find a civilian 6.2 or 6.5 with a 700r4 for a swap.
You do have a good point, i am still hoping just to keep the original engine in there, i was going to throw in a beefed up transmission.

Also banks make a turbo for the 6.2
I just saw that, need to call and see how much it is just in case.

Thanks for the info to, ill keep that in mind.

stampy

I was on the highway today in mine at 80 mph but I would NEVER drive the 1008 at that speed! I don't know if mine is special but I had plenty of pedal left and no it's not screaming, and came from GL that way. It's a great all around truck!

l1a1man

Yeah, I go between 80-85 on the highway no problem. I lucked out and got a 1009 with a nice tight front end.

ehuppert

I'm sure some will disagree, but.... M1009 would not be my choice for a dedicated tow vehicle. Shorter wheelbase vehicles aren't the best in panic situations!

Secondly, you towing a enclosed trailer, what's the car/trailer combo weigh?

Towed my drag car for many years (open trailer) behind a one ton p/u. Briefly had a 3/4 extended cab which didn't tow as well as the earlier dually, or the 1008 i now have.

All my tow vehicles (to include the 1008 were/are SBC with the usual cam, carb, exhaust upgrades. The 6.2's aren't overly strong when it comes to towing (Retired military, towed all kinds of stuff behind these vehicles. BTDT)

Can you tow with the M1009? Yes, will not be too enjoyable though....

Eric

91W350

80 mph in a M-1009 with a 3.08 gear is 2670 rpm on a 31" tire, a 33" at 80 will give you about 2508 rpm.

85 with a 31" is 2837 and 33" is 2665 rpm. That is smoking for a 6.2, a small block might be happy at 3,000 rpm, but a small block these are not.

80 with a 700R4 on 31" tires is right in the sweet zone at 1869 rpm, 1756 for 33" tires.

I am not sure a M1009 is really a good vehicle tow vehicle, I would want really good trailer brakes. It is no fun to have your trailer passing your tow vehicle in a panic stop.

stampy

Agreed about the tow vehicle part...and trailer brakes/surge brakes. My 1009 will tow a car trailer but I would not put any weight on the trailer and certainly not a enclosed car trailer.

OL AG '89

Have to agree with others, the M1009 was definitely not designed as a tow vehicle.... I've pulled a 1/4 ton trailer loaded with a heap of gear and it was not a "FUN" trip. I would suggest the GL site or the GSA auctions site and find a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The older the better...... prices are reasonable considering the modifications your considering..... If your good wrenching things, you could find a fixer and save a LARGE sum of cash for the initial purchase.....

OL AG '89

forgot to add... anything more than 65 is pushing the truck..... High center of gravity, big wind signature, designed for "utility" purposes and certainly not a speedy way to the front line.....

Tanner

My parts truck purchase for use on my M37-to-6.2 diesel swap was a civilian 1989 GMC Sierra 2500 single cab long-bed with a J-code 6.2 motor that ran quite well; trans was getting a bit weak, but I was ditching that anyway. Truck would run 70+ easily, but body was a touch rusty around fenders; that was expected for it being a 200k+ mile farm truck.

But I bought it in VA off of Fleecepay for $850... unless you've just GOT to have a 1008/9/etc., you might consider a civilian pickup for cheap - running trucks are available out in the world. And consider as well that the tow rating for a 1009 is 3,000 lbs.

'Tanner'

3dubs

You can talk gears and trans all you want. My M1009 will go faster than I will drive on the interstate. I have no idea what the top speed is but it is over 85MPH and you can do 85MPH and get 17MPG. Remember you are driving a truck and not a car. Slow down for turns if there a cross winds be careful. Make sure you have good tires. There is a lot of rubber so if a tire blows you will loose control and it will be very bad. But you do not need to do anything for higher top speed. If you need more power just pull the engine and replace the piston rings. You should do that before adding a turbo anyway. I was going to add a turbo but with fresh rings and a new IP my truck is almost as fast as my wife's car. The rebuild with rebuilt IP and everything was about $500 doing it myself. For now I am holding off on the turbo.

Sgt Hulka

I second all 91W350s comments. However, I question the return on investment for any transmission swaps. Yeah, I wish I had an overdrive. But my 1009 cruised quite comfortably at 75mph all the way from Montana to California. The original Turbo Hydro 400 is already a "beefed Up" transmission, far stronger in stock form than a 700R4. That's one of the reasons the Army specified. Strong, simple. Have fun and if you're gonna tow, be slow, safe, careful.