• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 as rugged reliable transportation candidate

Shankem-Deep

If you go with the M1009 and 1 ton axles, you may need to swap out the gears to 3:73's. No overdrive and 4:56 gears in my M1028 limits me to about 55-60 mph and that's with 37" tires.

Last edited:

southdave

If I was going to beat a 1009 up in maine?? and for dependibility sake... swap the 6.2 and the 400 out for a 292 with sm465 205.. swap a dana 44 and 14 bolt 373
292 is half the wieght and is torquey thing almost as reliable as 300 ford
sm465 is bullet proof as is the 205
diesels in the cold of maine offroad ect.. would imgine take alot effort to maintain..
The above combo of prowertrain(292 sm465 205 ect..) is more proven and less exotic & parts and up-grades are plentiful and cheap..
thats my two cent.. if I was going to rely on it for my livelyhood..
l

br44

i have had my m1009 for several months now. I wont say it doesnt have problems, because it does. i have driven on 800 mile road trips towing a trailer and a full cargo load and have had no problems. it loses a little power in high altitudes, but all diesels do that. some of the things i have done, include
1. new trailer hitch (class 4?)
2. replace heater core.
3. new shocks
4. fix leak in hydroboost
5. new seatbelts
6. new tires
7. new belts
8. radiator flush
9. windshield wiper motor

and i still have things to do.
it still gets me wherei need to go, and i have taken it on ratty roads without problems.

i say go for it...

epartsman

I say for the price of the 08 Wrangler you could have bought an M1009 and an M1008 or 1028 having both done up the way you wanted and having a backup vehicle. If I were you I would go with an M1008 converted with a 700r4 trans swap and a nice topper or do an 09 to the same spec. Doghead mod and DSG stud girdle to start with. Having an M101 trailer along for gear, spares, and extra fuel would also be a plus.

67_C-30

If I was going to beat a 1009 up in maine?? and for dependibility sake... swap the 6.2 and the 400 out for a 292 with sm465 205.. swap a dana 44 and 14 bolt 373
292 is half the wieght and is torquey thing almost as reliable as 300 ford
sm465 is bullet proof as is the 205
diesels in the cold of maine offroad ect.. would imgine take alot effort to maintain..
The above combo of prowertrain(292 sm465 205 ect..) is more proven and less exotic & parts and up-grades are plentiful and cheap..
thats my two cent.. if I was going to rely on it for my livelyhood..
l
292's suck on fuel though. I ran them for years, and they are great engines, but they wouldn't do any better than 10 mpg (on the best day, in top shape) in a 4X4 Blazer with 3.73's. I heard an old guy say one time in describing a 292, "They have all the power of a 6 banger, with gas mileage of a big block" :razz: In my experience with them, that pretty much sums them up.

unaffiliated

If you are running 50 mph on unimproved gravel roads, something is gonna break on any truck, I don't care what it is. That being said, I would go with the MV any day. My girlfriend has an '02 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 and I have bent suspension parts just riding around in a flat pasture (at slow speeds) and encountering the occasional downed tree that I couldn't see in the tall grass. Don't even get me started on how thin the sheet metal is. My 1008 will go anywhere and I have gone over some serious logs and other stuff with no problems. The grill guard comes in real handy too for those little pine trees on the overgrown trails. The new crap just ain't built like the old ones. I would buy the MV, drive the jeep while you do the mods and get it dependable then unload the jeep or keep it as a backup.

southdave

292's suck on fuel though. I ran them for years, and they are great engines, but they wouldn't do any better than 10 mpg (on the best day, in top shape) in a 4X4 Blazer with 3.73's. I heard an old guy say one time in describing a 292, "They have all the power of a 6 banger, with gas mileage of a big block" :razz: In my experience with them, that pretty much sums them up.
Your are right 67... I just like the torque and the power to wieght thing not mention the reliability.. I think most poeple get distracted with the whole more power thing, lose sight sight of balance that is is required to make vechical great circumstances it finds itself in.. case and point a GPW..

67_C-30

Your are right 67... I just like the torque and the power to wieght thing not mention the reliability.. I think most poeple get distracted with the whole more power thing, lose sight sight of balance that is is required to make vechical great circumstances it finds itself in.. case and point a GPW..
I totally agree that the 292 is a terrific engine. I ran one for years and years in a '67 1 ton wrecker. The 67 C-30 that I put the turbocharged 6.2 in came with one also. This truck was beat to death by the PO, and the 292 was running strong when I pulled it out, despite it being worn out. I rattled like a diesel until it got completely warm, had a ton of ring blowby, but I drove it like that for 2 years without failure. I just assumed the OP wanted a diesel for economy with the amount of miles that he has to travel.

BTW, here's a clip of that 292 running. It sounded like Cummins when it was cold, but still had the torque to lug up my driveway in 3rd gear!-lol

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbrHySSRIGY[/media]

saddamsnightmare

December 11th, 2011.

In addition to what all the other posters have said on here before, you MAY want to think about tracking down an M1028 which has had all the inspections and repairs done.... Having said that, it's still goning tio be a quarter century old truck, so it may not always behave the way you want it to. The alternative is to track down a Swiss 404.114 Unimog or better yet a 406/408 Case Unimog, the latter two are diesel and pretty good off road trucks. I depend on my 1963 Swiss S404.114, but I don't beat her to death as she is already 48 years old...2cents

HKjk

Acquired M1031

this thread is a bit old, but anyway here is an update.

In my original post I explained my situation and how I was interested in an M1009. Well at the end of December three M1031's came up on GL at a very local site. I went and previewed the trucks and concluded that one of them was a must have.... after some intense bidding I was notified that I had won. I paid a little more than I wanted, but the truck is in great shape. Anyway after the buyers remorse settled the fun began. I picked the truck up around the second week of January (it had 11,176mi on it) and I have now put about 2,500mi on it with no major issues as of yet.

After reading many posts of what other have done to make life simple, I did many of the same mods, including the stater relay, resistor bypass, spin on fuel filter etc,. The truck is not where I want yet, but slowly it will be outfitted nicely.

Attachments

K10A

this thread is a bit old, but anyway here is an update.

In my original post I explained my situation and how I was interested in an M1009. Well at the end of December three M1031's came up on GL at a very local site. I went and previewed the trucks and concluded that one of them was a must have.... after some intense bidding I was notified that I had won. I paid a little more than I wanted, but the truck is in great shape. Anyway after the buyers remorse settled the fun began. I picked the truck up around the second week of January (it had 11,176mi on it) and I have now put about 2,500mi on it with no major issues as of yet.

After reading many posts of what other have done to make life simple, I did many of the same mods, including the stater relay, resistor bypass, spin on fuel filter etc,. The truck is not where I want yet, but slowly it will be outfitted nicely.
I strongly suggest you reinforce the frame around the steering box,do crossover steering, a heavy duty rear end of the front spring shackle bushing kit. Run your tires at a lower pressure to try and insulate the chassis from being vibrated to death.