• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Auction

tdale4

Well I paid more then i wanted, but I won my M1009 Auction Today.
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2067977

So what advice can you give me on bringing it back? I was hoping to use one one of the uhaul towing things that you put under the front two tires.

I figured it will cost less in gas and be safer to tow it back vs. driving it back (on a 9 hour drive), assuming the truck is in running condition

Also I know a few of you said that it will be past christmas before i can pick up the vehicle, but the auction says i only have 14 days to pick it up, is that 14 days past the final approval, or 14 days from the time the award is made?

Thanks,
Tim

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I paid more then i wanted, but I won my M1009 Auction Today.
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2067977

So what advice can you give me on bringing it back? I was hoping to use one one of the uhaul towing things that you put under the front two tires.

I figured it will cost less in gas and be safer to tow it back vs. driving it back (on a 9 hour drive), assuming the truck is in running condition

Also I know a few of you said that it will be past christmas before i can pick up the vehicle, but the auction says i only have 14 days to pick it up, is that 14 days past the final approval, or 14 days from the time the award is made?

Thanks,
Tim
Unless Uhaul has changed the size of their dolleys, it won't fit....I tried it with a civy blazer and the lockouts hit the fenders....

If I'm wrong some one chime in

maritimer

the front tires will NOT fit on a dolly, and IIRC it just barely fits on the full trailer but is over weight. best bet is a tow bar of wrecker

bbbang

I also bought one of the M1009's in Jefferson City, Mo. I feel the same way on the paying to much, but it was close a little over an hour away and I have been wanting one. You would be better off getting or borrowing a pull type car hauling trailer. I will get mine with a pull type car hauler trailer and my 3/4 ton Chevy when the paperwork/ EUC clears. Get your paperwork filed and approved and then just call them and get an appointment to pick up your M1009. The Jeff City folks are nice to work with, I have purchased a couple of other items there. Chris

Attachments

tdale4

I had a friend check out the vehicle, he said that he thought it would run. they didnt let him start it, but after looking it over he said he thought it would run......i dont know how he came to that conclusion, but He said it has an orange light on top like it has been used in convoys. Maybe i'll get lucky and i'll be able to drive it back, but i need a back up plan.

i have a Nissan Xterra, are there any towing devices i can use with the Xterra if i need to tow the m1009? a friend of mine has a F150 i can use if the Xterra will not be up to the task.

i just dont know much about towing stuff.

any sugestions would be greatly appriciated

Thanks again
Tim

lavarok

Fly and drive, she looks like a runner. If you need a key, I'll send you one if you pay postage. Call ahead and find an express lube/quick lube shop with Rotella and you can have an oil change before driving home. If your lucky, they can even do a complete check out, radiator flush, and fluid check. I found an express lube in AL right up the road from Redstone and they did a complete check out, flush, and oil/filter change for under $90. I then proceeded to drive my M1009 just about 700 miles home.

If she doesnt start, then pull your glow plug circuit board from under the dash and use starting fluid to get her running. A few squirts and you'll be good to go until she sits for a while and cools down. Enjoy.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Man, how much does it cost to mail a key?, a buck or 2 ?, I'll send you one for free...

Now all I need is that pesky code......

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I send keys they get taped to a piece of cereal box the size of the envelope and get one lowly stamp. Bet I've sent 20 of them so far.

lavarok

A lowly stamp? C'mon it will cost at least $15 dollars plus handling.

JUST KIDDING - seriously, if I am going to do a favor; I don't think a self addressed stamped envelope is too much to ask for, plus $100 for copying a key. hahaha. ( again a joke )

jw4x4

As for your 14 days question, you have 14 days AFTER the EUC clears. As long as you contact the site manager as soon as the EUC clears, they will usually work with you on the 14 day stipulation. But if you are like me (and the rest of us for that matter), you will be fetching it ASAP. My advice would be to make provisions to tow it home. I know it is so tempting to drive it, but remember- better safe than sorry.

crownjewel4

You can rent a U-Haul car trailer for $49.95 for 24 hours. I just picked up 2 at Havre De Grace MD. Towed 1 with my F-350, my Father drove the other home 200+ miles. Both are solid and run great. Enjoy your M1009.:p

HAWKMAN

Fly and drive, she looks like a runner. If you need a key, I'll send you one if you pay postage. Call ahead and find an express lube/quick lube shop with Rotella and you can have an oil change before driving home. If your lucky, they can even do a complete check out, radiator flush, and fluid check. I found an express lube in AL right up the road from Redstone and they did a complete check out, flush, and oil/filter change for under $90. I then proceeded to drive my M1009 just about 700 miles home.

If she doesnt start, then pull your glow plug circuit board from under the dash and use starting fluid to get her running. A few squirts and you'll be good to go until she sits for a while and cools down. Enjoy.
I'm not sure if starting fluid is a good idea, I've used gasoline mixed with diesel fuel that I've sprayed into intake with spray bottle and this has worked well for me without putting undue stress on the glow plugs...just my 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks