• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 bad day good day

O.D. Fever

Hello everyone and wecome to my day. Today I was going to work on the head lights, until I opened the hood and saw the smoked off green wire in one of the glow plugs.. So I shifted gears and worked on that. Replaced the green wire and tried the system. Smoked the pretty new green wire. So I'm thinken maybe a problem..Doooo. anyway found that 60g glow plug dead short to ground, end of it blown right off and still shorted. Test all other plugs good.WTF. So me being me I put in a new glow plug and relay out of stock and tried it again. Worked ok until the relay started clicking like mad. Shut it down and swaped it out with a spare GM glow plug card(swaped the control card) all was ok..Back to the headlights ,cleaned the conections and put in new adjusters and good to go. Just waiting for parts and the next big puff of smoke..Joe aua

Last edited:

O.D. Fever

I just did the rear main seal, and missed that by a mile. still leaks, must be the valve covers and I can't see the leak. My Injectors are not so good so I orderd them plus the intake gasket.I need to remove the intake and injector lines in order to replace, repare the cover leak .. Can you see a big snowball hear? aua

tryon

ok so, this is why i come to this website!
I recently bought a 84 M1009 from someone who had bought it from the county. The lights were all working when my dad drove it home (I personally had to follow him because no tag) but we go in it the M1009 next day and the only lights that work are the glow plug lights and all that. I have no blinkers, brake lights, headlights or anything! I have already tried turning off the blackout switch and nothing happened. no lights or anything came on. we replaced most of the fuses and once again no lights!
anybody might know what the heck is wrong with my M1009? cause I really wanna drive it on the road but cant without lights.

cpf240

ok so, this is why i come to this website!
I recently bought a 84 M1009 from someone who had bought it from the county. The lights were all working when my dad drove it home (I personally had to follow him because no tag) but we go in it the M1009 next day and the only lights that work are the glow plug lights and all that. I have no blinkers, brake lights, headlights or anything! I have already tried turning off the blackout switch and nothing happened. no lights or anything came on. we replaced most of the fuses and once again no lights!
anybody might know what the heck is wrong with my M1009? cause I really wanna drive it on the road but cant without lights.
Did the horn work when you picked up the truck? Does it work now? If not, make sure the other blackout light switch is in the "service" position.

And please d/l and refer to the TM's for the CUCVs, starting with the -10.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did the rear main seal, and missed that by a mile. still leaks, must be the valve covers and I can't see the leak. My Injectors are not so good so I orderd them plus the intake gasket.I need to remove the intake and injector lines in order to replace, repare the cover leak .. Can you see a big snowball hear? aua

Yes, right on the edge of a cliff! Did you consider trying an oil leak detection dye and light? Good luck.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have already tried turning off the blackout switch and nothing happened. no lights or anything came on. we replaced most of the fuses and once again no lights!

Position of B/O light switches for normal driving:

Attachments

O.D. Fever

Yes, right on the edge of a cliff! Did you consider trying an oil leak detection dye and light? Good luck.
Everything is in the way. I think its leaking passenger side rear. Can't see back there, starter is soaked and its getting in the inspetion cover.

On the no lights issue, it does sound like the blackout switch. My light issue was dirty conection at the lights. Had to clean and tweek the plugs.

tryon

the horn doesnt work! i have tried the blackout switch in those positions this morning and still no results

jdeoliveira74

Everything is in the way. I think its leaking passenger side rear. Can't see back there, starter is soaked and its getting in the inspetion cover.

On the no lights issue, it does sound like the blackout switch. My light issue was dirty conection at the lights. Had to clean and tweek the plugs.

funny mine leaks from there too. starter is soaked and drips thru the weep hole for fly wheel cover. good thing I got another motor aua:D

O.D. Fever

My intake gasket, injectors, install kit arrived on Friday. I will work on getting my 715 to run first, then back to the 1009. The 1009 has heat and 715 does not, thats why its not rusty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks