• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Battery Disconnect Switch??

jplace1011

I’ve noticed my battery lugs are getting worn from connecting and disconnecting them from the batteries for my CUCV M1009. I already replaced them once.

Is it ok to use a Battery Disconnect Switch for when I’m working on my vehicle? This would be an effort to prevent wearing out my Battery Cable Lugs. If so, what type would be ideal: Blade, Knob?

Would a Battery Disconnect Switch go onto one Battery (Negative Terminal?) or onto Both Batteries?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jplace1011

I’ve noticed my battery lugs are getting worn from connecting and disconnecting them from the batteries for my CUCV M1009. I already replaced them once.

Is it ok to use a Battery Disconnect Switch for when I’m working on my vehicle? This would be an effort to prevent wearing out my Battery Cable Lugs. If so, what type would be ideal: Blade, Knob?

Would a Battery Disconnect Switch go onto one Battery (Negative Terminal?) or onto Both Batteries?

Thank you in advance!

@cucvrus @Warthog @doghead Would you have any input?

Could I just attach one of these to the Ground on each of the two batteries? Disconnecting the Grounds as a way to prevent any damage?

jplace1011

True statement. Front ground is only ground. That is the only ground terminal connected to the frame. True earth in British terms. I owned an MG and it had earth on the battery connection for ground.
@cucvrus There you are! With that in mind, should I just put one of these clamps on the Ground Post for each battery? Disconnect them when working on the vehicle. Would that be safe?

cucvrus

Do as you wish. You ask. Someone answered with a true statement. Only 1 ground that is the front battery to frame ground. I myself would just disconnect the batteries and live with it. Do as you wish. Switched ground is a dead truck. No ground no start. I may be missing something here. Good night. I have work at 0400.

jplace1011

The scenario described above, it can only happen if someone wires 12v loads into the rear battery. If your truck is stock you're safe braking the front negative.
@87cr250r I’m going to take a few photos to show how and what is hooked up to my two batteries.

Let’s see if I have 12v Loads into the Rear Battery.

jplace1011

Why photos?
Take off front battery negative wire. Put voltmeter between frame and rear battery positive. If voltmeter shows volts (12,xx), then you have some previous owners additional wiring.

@vanaisa I’m thinking of putting quick release disconnect battery terminals onto the Neg Post of each of the 2 batteries. It seems to be the sure and safest way. Or, I’ll just leave it as is and disconnect the batteries normally. If it the existing clamps wear out again, I’ll replace the cable and clamp again. I am over cautious because I don’t want to fry anything. That would really, really suck!!

Last edited:

jplace1011

@vanaisa I’m thinking of putting quick release disconnect battery terminals onto the Neg Post of each of the 2 batteries. It seems to be the sure and safest way. Or, I’ll just leave it as is and disconnect the batteries normally. If it the existing clamps wear out again, I’ll replace the cable and clamp again. I am over cautious because I don’t want to fry anything. That would really, really suck!!

@Warthog @doghead would you masters of the CUCVs have any input?

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I used those on my camper for attaching a solar powered charger. Honestly they're pretty chintzy so I wouldn't recommend them for a cucv.

Something like this would be more robust which I have on another vehicle I own if you really want quick disconnect ability.
E0356808-0C88-4299-B7BD-BC841A2D6F32.jpeg

Last edited:

jplace1011

I used those on my camper for attaching a solar powered charger. Honestly they're pretty chintzy so I wouldn't recommend them for a cucv.

Something like this would be more robust which I have on another vehicle I own if you really want quick disconnect ability.
View attachment 899624
@adf5565 Thank you for the info., that’s too bad yet still good to know! It seems the Blade Type of Switch may be the best option.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blade switches are exposed, where a battery shut off switch isn't. With rubber boots on the terminals and mounted there is very little chance of shorting. YMMV

1686760159565.png
1686760177012.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks