• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Battery Draining

BigjeepTX

My 1984 M1009 keeps draining the battery closest to the firewall. I swapped it out under warranty both batteries are brand new but if I do not start it once a week the rear battery goes dead. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a good alternator shop nearby, I would remove Alt 2 (passenger side) and get it rebuilt. Be sure to explain it is an isolated ground alt.

Testing it for output, will not show your problem.

You can/should explain your problem, but it should not cost much to just replace the internals(excluding rotor and windings).

To test this idea(bad alt), you can carefully disconnect the red wire from the rear of that alternator.(do not touch ground with it or your wrench!) and leave it off for the next week. If the drain is gone, rebuild the alt.

Last edited:

Ken_86gt

Beat me to it, I agree with the above- Could be the alternator is doing it. Try removing the large wire that attaches the the passenger side alternator, leave the wire off for a week and see if the battery is any lower.

BigjeepTX

So you think the alternator is draining the battery. OK will try that first and see what happens. Its a problem that just started and its driving me crazy.

Thanks,

Michael

BigjeepTX

Well that fixed it the alt that was on the passenger side was a new rebuild put on before I purchased the M1009. replaced it and now all is good.

Thanks Guys,

Bigjeep

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks