• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 battery sparking on start

tommyd

Another electrical issue. I just recently had gen 1 rebuilt. Things worked fine for a couple days. Yesterday, I tried to start it but was dead. Disconnected all cables, then charged both batteries.

When I started to use the glow plugs, I noticed a spark on the back + terminal. Thought it was just a loose connection and tightened clamp.

Now I tried to start and it cranked but another spark. The starter and the flex plate was replaced a month ago with no issues. I'm hoping it's a dead solenoid, but don't know if that would cause my problem. I'm not a real mechanic, but try my best.

Is the solenoid on the fire wall 12 or 24v? Any suggestions or known issues? Thanks allot, I really need the M1009 running!

Semper Fi,
Tommy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds to me like your alternator was not fully rebuilt. I suspect your issue is in your alternator.

lindyp38

what doghead says could be true in ur case.......it was with me.......when my buddy disassembled to check it...it still had cobwebs in it......and it was supposedly rebuilt........so it would hurt to recheck it......

dstang97

hook up all of your battery cables except your ground. Attach a test light to the ground and then attach it to the battery. Disconnect stuff like. Alternators, starters. until the light goes out. that will be your culprit. I just went through this with my 1028.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks