• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Battery Upgrade

bcolemanttu

Frustrated with the original batteries and trays I decided to take them out and start over. :mad:

I took out the original battery trays and found a great dual battery tray for twin Type 31 batteries. Welded up new mounts and installed 2 new AGM batteries. :lol:

The batteries are not as close to the engine as they look. Plenty of room to work between batteries and engine

Attachments

cucvrus

WOW from what I see that is an awful amount of weight being supported by that inner fender apron. When I wheel my M1009 they would be on the trail on the first trip around the mountain. Good Luck I just did not know if you considered the down force that the pair of batteries are going to have on that piece of sheet metal.

bcolemanttu

Your right that would be bad that is why there is additional bracing under underneath. If any thing over engineered. Flimsy sheet metal is not main support.

Drock

Your work looks good and that mount looks like ah beast. Here's how I did mineBattery tray.jpg I just used the original rear battery tray and made the top out of 1"X1"X1/8" angle. Then cut and welded the original upper fender braces/struts to it. I did mine this way for two reasons #1 it made room for the banks turbo #2 it moved the weight of the batteries off the front end of the truck. I also had to replace the rotted out inner fender so when I drilled the new holes for the tray I cheated them back towards the firewall about an 1". As an added bonus it made it much easier to work on that side of the engine, glow plugs, belts and such.

Sergeant1983

Looks assume. I have thought about adding two more batteries so there would be two of each in parallel, since the new batteries only take up half the space in the battery trays. That way I would have a little more juice to back up my 4k inverter.

Skinny

I believe Energizers are rebranded Dekas, maybe someone can confirm this. Either way, I've read nothing but good about them and starting looking further at them for my boat house batt replacements. I also believe they are readily available at Sams or Costco. I forget which one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

KansasBobcat

Nice looking installation. Many feel that the 6TLs are too heavy for the location, especially with rust, etc. Planning on going with group 31s in M1008. They fit fine with original hold downs in M1009.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks