• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 before and after

i know there are a bajillion threads about lifts for CUCVs, so i though i would make it a bajillion and one with a a few before and after pictures. I installed a rough country 2 inch lift and put on 33/12.5/15 Firestone Destination M/Ts. It took about 4 hours with a buddy helping me. While I had it on the lift, I went ahead and changed the tranny fluid and filter, flushed and refilled both diffs, cleaned and adjusted the rear drum brakes, and adjusted the parking break. Had a pretty good day of turnin' wrenches!

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Absolutely outstanding. I will need to post some photos of my old CUCV and it looks similar but had two Shakespear AS3916's on it instead of an AS3900.

Looks awesome!

Absolutely outstanding. I will need to post some photos of my old CUCV and it looks similar but had two Shakespear AS3916's on it instead of an AS3900.

Looks awesome!
Thanks CARNAC! I WISH I had 3916's to be honest. The 3900 breaks to easily from what I have seen. We used them in OIF III and 7-9 on our trucks-any time we hit a wire it would snap the rod inside the antennae rendering it useless. We rolled with 3916s on our tanks and they worked awesome. Im only using that whip for my CB so quality isn't a top priority for me, but id prefer the 3916s, because thats what im used to running on our tanks.

That looks great! I have a new set of 33 X 12.50's on mine, and have been thinking about a 2" lift. This thread pretty much made up mind![thumbzup]
It was well worth the 340$! It rides so much better then stock. Of course the stock setup was WORE OUT after 25 years of use, so naturally it rides better with new springs and shocks! The kit was SUPER easy to install. I think the hardest part was the top shock bolts in the rear. All you need is a universal joint and an impact and the rest is cake. I think I might have to put a step for the ol' lady, as she's 6 months pregnant. She LOVES the cucv but has a hard time gettin' in it now that it has the lift w/33s.

SGT Estum

I'm curious to know what this does to your MPGs.

I really like to do something similar but my M1009 is my most fuel efficient vehicle and I'd like to keep it that way :)

Capt.Marion

I'm curious to know what this does to your MPGs.

I really like to do something similar but my M1009 is my most fuel efficient vehicle and I'd like to keep it that way :)
If anything, the taller tires increase your fuel mileage as the engine isn't running at fast at the same roadspeeds as it was with the smaller tires. (Bigger tires=bigger circumference=more distance per full revolution of the tire)

@ bobert- I went with a Rough Country 2 inch (RC part number 140H), springs in the front w/blocks in the rear. RC offers the kit with rear springs, but they wanted 235$ more. EVENTUALLY I will put springs in the rear, but funds were a little tight when I ordered this kit. I've put 420 miles on it since I did it and am very happy with it! I'd do it again in a second! here's the link to RC's page for 2 inch lift kits for the 1009s http://roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_77-87_2.html

@ sgt estum- I drove it to Cincinatti (350 miles round trip) and got 23.8 mpg cruising at 65 mph on the Tom Tom. When I drove it home after I bought it with the stock 31s, I got 22.7 mpg doing 65mph. Taller tire equals less rpms. Not sure how bad it will affect my city driving mpg, but im sure it wil be very minor. I averaged 16.5-17 mpg around town with 31s. Once I finish this tank, I will report back my mpg.

Last edited:

SGT Estum

@ sgt estum- I drove it to Cincinatti (350 miles round trip) and got 23.8 mpg cruising at 65 mph on the Tom Tom. When I drove it home after I bought it with the stock 31s, I got 22.7 mpg doing 65mph. Taller tire equals less rpms. Not sure how bad it will affect my city driving mpg, but im sure it wil be very minor. I averaged 16.5-17 mpg around town with 31s. Once I finish this tank, I will report back my mpg.
Excellent! One other question for you... how tall is that rig now? (Read: "Would that fit in my garage?")

SGT Estum- My rig sits right at 80 inches. Maybe a bit more, but it's hard to tell when you're standing next to it with a tape measure. At its' highest point just behind the windshield, it appears to be right at 80 or 80.5 inches. It easily fits in my garage, but I have to have the wife hold down the antenna to get it to fit. My garage's lowest opening point(very bottom of the door lip when it is up) is 96 inches so you've got plenty of room...

Last edited: