• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 Blackout lights

K10A

They are the itty bitty lights in the bumpers and they are used for night time "stealth" blackout convoy driving conditions as far as I know

Prerunner1982

work with nightvision.. not worth much without it though.. out in the field thats all you can run, so you dont blind soldiers using nightvision..

kenny

gasser said:
Ok - sorry to be asking such a moronic question, but what the blackout lights used for? Where are they located?

-graham
http://m1009.com

Alot of people dont know about black out lights.
The guy that I bought my 1984 CUCV M1010 with 28,000 miles on it bought it from GSA and could not get the head lights, blinkers or brake lights to work.
He had no clue about the black out lights or what they did.
I gave him 2,800 dollars for it.After I paid him I jumped in the truck and turned the black out switch to service lights on and every thing worked fine.
I like them the most because I can drive through the woods at night with out any one seeing me coming or going.

Armada

I had to use the blackout lights on my old 1008 for a covert deer recovery operation once... they worked good.
I especially like the no brake light feature. :)

The blackout lights were not developed for use with night vision devices, in fact they might even "blind" some of the early generation night vision devices. Blackout lights have been on U.S. military vehicles since WWII.

The small lights, front and back, are called "cats eye" lights and are used by the drivers during blackout conditions (light discipline) to keep vehicles in line during night movements.

The hooded white light in the grill is the "blackout driving light". This light is switched on independently of the "cats eyes" and casts a dim white light on the ground for a short distance to the left front of the vehicle, in front of the driver. This light is so the driver can see the ground guide who is walking in front of the vehicle to guide it.

The development of night vision devices has greatly reduced the need for the blackout lights, especially the blackout driving light. Military vehicles still have the capablity for when night vision devices are not available. The specialized switching prevents the accidental appearance of any lights, including brake lights and turn signals, during periods of light discipline when the appearance of a light would give away the position of vehicles (and troops) to the enemy.

Hope this helps.

M35guy

The specialized switching prevents the accidental appearance of any lights, including brake lights and turn signals, during periods of light discipline when the appearance of a light would give away the position of vehicles (and troops) to the enemy.
Like a deuce creeping along wont give away your position? :lol: cant really sneak around with those beasts now can ya?

FrankUSMC

They also helped with your distance between trucks at night. If the lights looked like two different lights you were two close, they should look like one light from a safe distance.
One of the few, Frank

ida34

We put chemlights on the tubes of our howitzer because we were to lazy to clamp the lights on the tube. It was very easy to tell distance. If you could not see the chemlight you were to far away. If the tube of the howizter enters the front windshield between the seats then you are to close. This is the prime time to back it down a bit. I have used blackouts both with nvgs and with out. You can drive without night vision but you have to let your eyes adjust so you can see anything.

4bogginchevys

The blackout lights were not developed for use with night vision devices, in fact they might even "blind" some of the early generation night vision devices. Blackout lights have been on U.S. military vehicles since WWII.

The small lights, front and back, are called "cats eye" lights and are used by the drivers during blackout conditions (light discipline) to keep vehicles in line during night movements.

The hooded white light in the grill is the "blackout driving light". This light is switched on independently of the "cats eyes" and casts a dim white light on the ground for a short distance to the left front of the vehicle, in front of the driver. This light is so the driver can see the ground guide who is walking in front of the vehicle to guide it.

The development of night vision devices has greatly reduced the need for the blackout lights, especially the blackout driving light. Military vehicles still have the capablity for when night vision devices are not available. The specialized switching prevents the accidental appearance of any lights, including brake lights and turn signals, during periods of light discipline when the appearance of a light would give away the position of vehicles (and troops) to the enemy.

Hope this helps.
If the blackout driving light is switched on independantly of the "cats eyes" than how do you do it....my bdl hasn't worked since I got the truck, must be because i'm not switching it on right?