• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009/Blazer Tailgate Cables

LastFbody

My oem cables are worn to the point where I feel its unwise to climb into the truck through the back. The only replacements I've seen are Dorman generic cables that seem to be half the thickness of the originals, which to me translates to "They must be crappy"

Am I incorrect in thinking this? Or are the Dorman cables a lot better than they look?

Or if I am correct, what can I get that would be equal or better than the originals?

cucvrus

They are just cables. i have been keeping everyone I can get my hands on. i made a few sets with a swagging tool. But that was when I could not find any others. I think the Dormans are warranted. Give them a try. They seem to hold up well. Like I said. I have used imports that other people gave me. Not much difference. Once the plastic coating is compromised they are shot even if they aren't broken.

LastFbody

Good to know. I'll probably give the generics a try.

The other thought I had was if anyone ever tried retrofitting or building old school steel bars with the hinge in the middle of them like they had in the early 70s and previous for gm trucks. To me that always seemed like the strongest design, though it may not be objectively true since all the car companies got away from that and started using cables instead. That or they were just being cheap bastards like usual.

richingalveston

It is the little springs on the cables for the 1009 that are important. They fold the cable properly so it does not get caught sticking out the crack between the tail gate and fender causing damage to the cable outer jacket. I found that once the springs break, the cables get damaged fast and don't last long.

I like the solid bars also but not sure they work on the 1009, if so you could just get them from a truck tailgate and install them. since I have not seen that done, I assume they do not fit.

you can replace the back gate with a tailgate and use all the truck stuff but then you have no rear window.

kkcshipp

I used the ones that were still there. Cleaned them up a bit and put some on some white lithium. If they break, they break and I'll deal with it later. When I'm at the pull a part I'll check every tailgate I can find. It's that stinkging, goat-smelling, horrible tail-gate handle that gives me the most fits.

cucvrus

rs_500x326-141217151556-TheGrinchCartoonhappy grinch.gifYou need my home brewed and baked window channels and a recipe on how to clean and lube the sash and guides. I think I will have to cook up a batch for you. They be some fine vittles. Put that tailgate back into day 1 mode. Happy Holidays.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks