• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 brake lights

devilbw0y

The brake lights don't work. I'm new to this so I have no idea what to do. All of the other lights work. Any help would be appreciated.

ida34

Have you checked the brake light switch near the brake pedal under the dash? Also, download the tech manuals in the resource section. They have wonderful troubleshooting information.

jimm1009

The turn signals and the brakes are not on the same fuse so if your turn signals work then I would replace the fuse.
Standard GM style fuse.
jimm1009

grayw0lf

On my M1009, the brake lights didn't work until I bypassed the fuse block & used an inline fuse. The right side of the fuse block was very nasty looking. The main headlight switch below it was far worse. The heater fan switch was worse still.

Wiggle the fuse & see if the lights come on.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first things you should do are :

disconnect the batteries
take a picture of the fusebox
remove all the fuses
clean all the contacts in the fusebox with a small nail file and electrical contact cleaner
clean and check each fuse or replace them
reinstall all the fuses to the proper location
you might use sime dielectric grease on the fuses to stop future corrosion
reconnect the batteries
check for brake lights

The brake light fuse is #6 in the attached diagrams.

These trucks are 25+ years old and have lived in harsh environments. They have so much dirt. grime and corrosion on all most all the electrical connections I am suprised anything works.

Here are some diagrams

Right click on the thumbnail and choose 'Open Link in New Window"

Attachments

Last edited:

grayw0lf

Very good advice from Warthog. I'd also recommend removing the wiring harness @ the firewall & clean out the connections on both sides. Mine were covered in a black goo, that I can only guess to be old, burnt, dirty, decrepit dielectric grease.

Electrical contact cleaner is a great thing!