• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 brake over haul story

REGULATOR

Ok so my 17 yr old has been driving the m1009 every day, I never get to drive it anymore.

comes to me and tells me the brakes are pulling to one side, I of course get that smile and tell him to pull the truck up to the drive way and lets take the wheels off.

left side, looks fine, except for a dead rodent that was cauterized on to the caliper ( yeah I took a picture, will post tonight)

right side , pads are a shot, turns out the caliper piston is sticking

quick trip to the local auto store yields some pads for both sides for about 30 something bucks... ( top of the line lifetime warranty etc)

we also noticed when the calipers came off that the rubber seals on the pistons were SHOT on both sides, crusty melted rubber, missing rubber, they barely moved..

brand new calipers ready to install were $14 dollars a piece ..
( yeah cheaper then the pad)

of course I got a discount on all my parts at advance, so the total for the day was much less. but not bad, the boy learned about disc brakes, did all the work himself, and total for a front brake job was appx 60 bucks

on another note, the front output shaft of the transfer case was leaking a bit of fluid, I thought it was the front shaft seal, nope it looked perfect, BUT there was a rubber washer on the splined shaft and it was all chewed up, found a similar washer at the auto store for next to nothing and put it on, so far so good no more leak.

truck is running great, barely leaks now, and starts and stops, its actually getting better milage then my F250.

Attachments

Last edited:

OL AG '89

WOW front brakes for $60!!!
do you have room in your driveway for several others.....
I never seem to catch anything on mine for less than $100+

When you say "washer" can you shoot a picture? I'm seeing an occasional drip under mine... class I leak or class II..... but can't find anything that looks wetter than usual....

1986Blazerk5

Good deal on parts, being 17 myself i drive my truck everyday to and from school with no problem, i also had the brakes done on my truck as well as the bearings in the front, since one was bad and it was only $50 more to replace since they had to put new pads, and rotors on.

REGULATOR

the transfer case front output shaft, has the piece that bolts to the transfer case with one larg nut and spins, then bolts to the front drive shaft with 4x nuts

when that "attachment " piece was removed to look at the front seal, there was a chewed up piece of rubber washer ( almost like what you use in a garden hose)

I walked into advance auto and they showed me a rack that had bolts and washers on it, and I grabbed the one that looked the closest to the original one in size. it slid snugly over the splines and apparently helps to hold the fluid in the T case.

REGULATOR

I knew someone would mention that, normally I always do, but these were smooth on both sides.. if they were warped at all I couldn't tell with the naked eye I think the pad just never retracted and it wore out, it was bare metal but the rotors were not scored

stops perfectly straight and no pull or grab now

rlwm211

Sounds great that you got the whole project done for 60$. In the future I would recommend sanding the rotors with medium fine sand paper to just knock any glazing that in on them off. This only takes a few minutes to do and ensures the pads seat well and quickly for that matter.

RL