• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 brake same as civy?

85CUCVtom

My brakes are starting to make noise on my M1009 and might need to be replaced. I'm gonna get in there and look around this weekend to get an idea of exactly whats going on. I'm pricing everything out just in case. The question I have is, when ordering parts at the part store are my pads, rotors, shoes, calipers, drums and hardware kit going to be the same as a civilian truck of the same year? If not, what do I ask for.

I feel like a schmuck for asking, I feel like I should know this already. I just want to try to avoid problems when I go to do the job. Thanks.

kingchr

I believe that you would want to ask for the parts for a '84 Chevy K5 Blazer. As I understand it, all the CUCVs were made to the '84 standard no matter the year to help cut down on parts inventory. There are a few exceptions (like my locking hubs in my '84 are a little different and take a different tool than the '85 and latter ones) but by and large I think this is the case. Good news is these parts should all be readily available and cheap.

Good luck, brakes are the 2nd most important system on a truck in my option, right behind steering...
Christopher

85CUCVtom

That' what I thought.I wasn't 100% sure though. I had looked in the TM's and got the part number for the brake pads and called the part store with that and they said they were discontinued. I just have a hard time believing that.

kingchr

What about them looking it up by application? It might be that that part number refers to a type of pad that has been improved upon and discontinued. If they can't at least ORDER you a set of rotors and pads for an '84 Full Size Blazer, run don't walk away from this store.

just my $0.02,
Christopher

85CUCVtom

I was going to look them up by application but was unsure of the model year to go by. I know my truck is an 1985 but like you said they were all based on one model year to make part inventory more simple. The store I called is the place I usually go to for parts. I think the guy I talked to was just a moron.

dmilkman589

its just the same as the year as a normal k5. i have a regular half ton chevy truck, civiy 1986. its the same pads, rotors, hubs, all that stuff as on my 84 m1009

Anubis8472

I was going to look them up by application but was unsure of the model year to go by. I know my truck is an 1985 but like you said they were all based on one model year to make part inventory more simple. The store I called is the place I usually go to for parts. I think the guy I talked to was just a moron.
That seems to be the norm these days.
Walk in and ask for a filter/gasket kit for a TH400, or bearings and seals for a chevy 10-bolt and get nothing but blank stares.
You'd think you were asking for a part to some obscure third world vehicle with a production run of 150.
Ten years ago every man woman and child in the place would know exactly what you were talking about.

/anyway......
The only difference in the brakes is the fluid used. If you havn't already, make sure you check it. You don't want to mix the silicone with dot-3.

RedneckMilenko

Well when getting fluid for it what do you ask for? Is it availabe at most parts stores? I'm having breaking issues muself at the moment that started right after I pretty much destroyed my right front hub. I rebuilt it but am still not having the same breaking power I used to.

scottladdy

Test your brake fluid type!

The only difference in the brakes is the fluid used. If you havn't already, make sure you check it. You don't want to mix the silicone with dot-3.
Yes, absolutely you need to make certain not to mix the two different types (DOT3/4 with DOT5). The military specified DOT5 for these trucks, and converted all of their vehicles over to DOT5 starting mid 1981 (see attached).

Simple to test. Get some DOT3 brake fluid. Place it in a clear plastic disposable cup full enough so that when you place some of the fluid from the top of your master cylinder reservoir into it, you will be able to see if the two mix or not.

Now, spoon some of the fluid from your master cylinder into the cup. Mix it up and wait. If you see separation, your system still has DOT5 in it.

You cannot tell by the color of the fluid. I have seen amber and purple DOT5. All of the new DOT5 I've purchased recently has been purple and absurdly expensive. Thank goodness these trucks only need about a quart for a full flush, which I highly recommend at least every two years.

Lastly, do NOT use DOT5 in an anti lock braking system.

Attachments

K9Vic

I believe that you would want to ask for the parts for a '84 Chevy K5 Blazer. As I understand it, all the CUCVs were made to the '84 standard no matter the year to help cut down on parts inventory. There are a few exceptions (like my locking hubs in my '84 are a little different and take a different tool than the '85 and latter ones) but by and large I think this is the case. Good news is these parts should all be readily available and cheap.

Good luck, brakes are the 2nd most important system on a truck in my option, right behind steering...
Christopher

Yes, you order parts for a 1984 K5 6.2L 4WD regardless of the year you have.
You are also correct that the hub socket is different from the 1984 and 1985+. This is why I have the socket set that covers both and the 14-bolt as well.
Axles, make sure they are the 10-bolt.

I just spent $200 on parts today to replace all the calipers & wheel cylinders. Also replace the harmonic balancer and change the axle fluid on both. These are repairs that I do to all the M1009 trucks I get before I complete them to resell. These brake parts are cheap, so spending that money is just simply worth it to have a good braking system. The balancer I change just because after 25 years who know if it was ever replaced.

(Edit) Make sure you check the balancer at the parts store for any damage, there is no packing in them and I one time had one with a dent that I rejected purchase.

O'Reilly Auto part numbers
====================
Cardone Friction Choice - Brake Caliper
Part # : 18-4208 (Right)
Part # : 18-4209 (Left)

BrakeBest® - Wheel Cylinder: Part # : WC51081
BrakeBest- Disc Brake Pads: Part # D52
Precision Parts Powerbond OEM - Harmonic Balancer: Part # : PB1102N
Fel-Pro - Differential Cover Gasket: Part # : RDS55028-1 (Rear)
Fel-Pro - Differential Cover Gasket: Part # : RDS55075 (Front)

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks