• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 cab and cargo box conversion

K9Vic

Shorter wheel base with the use of a pickup bed unlike a blazer that is limited because it has a topper. Also for better for off-road use then a full size long bed truck. It is just something people like, I think that they look good as a mini-pickup.

muddog

Some company use to make a kit that you remove the rear cover and they had a piece that bolted on and made it into a pickup. Can't remember who made it but it looked good. Simple bolt on kit. I think you could also get the kit with a sliding rear window.
Harold.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To take this one step further, I once saw an M1009 with the rear cover removed and in it's place was an S318 shelter. The 318 was actually bolted to the body and a walk through was cut in it. Looked like a military Blazer Chalet. Wished I had saved pics of it.

ABN173

I would like to get another M1009, but I would keep it stock for the most part. I would like to have a 2nd one that I could modify though.... all kinds of ideas come to mind:

- T-tops or sunroof
- entire removable soft top.
- Gun ring/ turret

I'm sure I will think of some more :p

Last edited:

GoldComet6

Shorter wheel base with the use of a pickup bed unlike a blazer that is limited because it has a topper. Also for better for off-road use then a full size long bed truck. It is just something people like, I think that they look good as a mini-pickup.
It's a compromise I guess, since you lose the enclosed people/cargo carrying capacity of the stock Blazer.

This makes me think of the old IH Scout Terra pickups or an early half cab Bronco.:)

Hogg

I love the looks of it, but I dont think I could give up the backseat in M1009. Simoncrk put a new Softtopper on his M1009, and Im totally sold on it. It looks awesome, and its user friendly. You can roll up the sides and the back but keep the top for shade when you have buddies riding in the backseat, AND it helps with "MV Oven" that most of us know about all too well... Here's the link... Softopper - Pickup Truck Toppers, Camper Shells & Caps - Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge & More

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anybody seen or done a conversion like this? You convert your M1009 into an enclosed cab with a short cargo box. Not sure WHY you would do it though.....I guess you could just buy an M1008 instead! Guess the forrestry folks like it.

Converting the M1009 Blazer To Cab and Cargo Box Style

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/projects/rec62.pdf
Brush Fire apparatus.
Roscommon Equipment Center specializes in conversion of ex military vehicles into usefull wild fire equipment. ex military vehcles are given to the Forest Service.

The short wheelbase offers obvious manuverability advantages over a std pickup, in a wild fire enviroment, and this is an inexpensive conversion to an otherwise free piece of equipment.