• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Cap Plugs - Any Sources?

Lawdog734

I just picked up a beautiful M1009 last weekend and it's missing 3 of the antenna pass through plugs on the cap.

I can't seem to find them anywhere, so does anybody know any sources to replace them?

1000018934.jpg

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Due to the arrogant tone of your posts, I regret ever attempting to assist you on this thread. For many years I have contributed to the knowledge base of this site and freely shared my experiences of restoring & rebuilding my M1028 with the other SS members. But now, I am through. I will not be responding in this thread any longer. I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

Lawdog734

Due to the arrogant tone of your posts, I regret ever attempting to assist you on this thread. For many years I have contributed to the knowledge base of this site and freely shared my experiences of restoring & rebuilding my M1028 with the other SS members. But now, I am through. I will not be responding in this thread any longer. I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

You're calling me arrogant......

Thanks for your website bio, but I've been here for some time as well and know very well how things work. I've owned and restored Humvees for over a decade at this point and also do what I can to help folks getting into this world. This is my first CUCV though.

Unfortunately, "helping" people doesn't necessarily mean "Google it" or "check the TM" in all cases. I'm looking for that type of plug and looking in the parts manual or TM hasn't helped, which is why I came here. I hope that you can put your emotions aside and continue to help moving forward in the event that there are other questions and if not, then so be it.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too have a 1009. The antenna holes in my truck needed to be filled until I gathered the materials to reinstall the antennas. I took two oversized grommets, two large washers and a bolt through them which sealed the openings. Looking at your picture, it appears that a common plug was used to fill the hole but I could be wrong on that. A good source for a plug assortment is Harbor Freight. I have such a set that I purchased after the fact. I haven’t checked to see if any of these plugs will fit, however. I am unaware of a standard size plug that the military used to fill these antenna wire holes. That being said, the military supply system has a selection of multiple sized plastic cap and plugs that would fit perfectly in the opening. They come in standardized sizes in both depth and circumference. I find them occasionally in various places but it’s real hit or miss finding them at garage/yard/estate sales.
If you find a source for these caps and plugs, I’d appreciate it you could post the link or phone# for the source. I will make a search for the specific ones I’m talking about and if I find them before you, I’ll post that info on this thread.
Semper Fi!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too have a 1009. The antenna holes in my truck needed to be filled until I gathered the materials to reinstall the antennas. I took two oversized grommets, two large washers and a bolt through them which sealed the openings. Looking at your picture, it appears that a common plug was used to fill the hole but I could be wrong on that. A good source for a plug assortment is Harbor Freight. I have such a set that I purchased after the fact. I haven’t checked to see if any of these plugs will fit, however. I am unaware of a standard size plug that the military used to fill these antenna wire holes. That being said, the military supply system has a selection of multiple sized plastic cap and plugs that would fit perfectly in the opening. They come in standardized sizes in both depth and circumference. I find them occasionally in various places but it’s real hit or miss finding them at garage/yard/estate sales.
If you find a source for these caps and plugs, I’d appreciate it you could post the link or phone# for the source. I will make a search for the specific ones I’m talking about and if I find them before you, I’ll post that info on this thread.
Semper Fi!
Success! I entered “plastic cap and plug kit” in eBay. There are multiple sets with a selection of the same standardized plugs the military uses. One thing I need to pass on, in my experience, paint doesn’t stick to these plugs. Again, in my experience, when I used these, I wasn’t concerned with the color of the plugs as they were always used inside of a helicopter, out of sight of everyone else. You might be able to use Krylon spray paint because they advertise their paint will adhere to plastic.
I’m going to check Amazon as well. Sometimes they’re less expensive.

Edit: checked Amazon and the prices are equivalent to eBay.

Last edited:

Barrman

3 different answers are being given to a single question. Something to plug the hole such as my “Rubber cork” suggestion. A park similar to the OEM part from McMaster Carr. Followed by a OEM type part with a hole in it to be functional with a cable through it.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 different answers are being given to a single question. Something to plug the hole such as my “Rubber cork” suggestion. A park similar to the OEM part from McMaster Carr. Followed by a OEM type part with a hole in it to be functional with a cable through it.
I’m unfamiliar with McMaster Carr. Are they a military supplier? I’ll take a look at their products. Thank you for the heads up.