• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Cargo Management

dyocis

Check on youtube for "Carcedcucv." He posted several videos of how he set up his M1009 in clever ways.
Its funny you mentioned Carcedcucv, his videos are what started my interest in the M1009! I looked at his videos again yesterday and I would REALLY like to get a set of those drawers he has in his '09.

Dyocis, FYI, there are no drawer sliders as one would imagine on the truck vault model. What i mean by this is that the drawers roll out on wheels/ rollers mounted to the floor of the box. I'll get some pictures for you soon. I think this is the secret to the strength of the drawers. They are just solid trays and the weight rides on the wheels. So, it really shouldn't be that hard to copy with the right parts.
Pot some pics up when you can. I think your referring to a specific model. When I got the quote for the single drawer, they sent me a drawing of the box with dimensions. You can see the slide rack in the drawing.

forest522

Ok, here are some pictures of the drawer with rollers on the top, rear both sides...
IMG-20130426-00046.jpgIMG-20130427-00052.jpg
Then small rollers, two pairs. Each pair are on each side of the floor about 8 inches apart. The floor portion they are mounted into is like the rest of the box, 1" marine grade plywood. The floor extending beyond this all the way to the rear is 1/4 press board. This particular box had a damaged floor (the press board part was blown out under one of the drawers...there was a fire extinguisher discharge on the top - lots of hard white chemical caked into the carpet, and some oil or other stain on the other side. After the entire carpet was removed, scraped off the glue then sanded back to wood surface, then replaced the floor...box is back in order.

IMG-20130427-00050.jpgIMG-20130426-00042.jpg

The drawers roll all the way out and are stopped by a fat rubber washer on the top of the box that meets with the top back of the drawer. Keeps the user from pulling the entire drawer out.

dyocis

Forest522, Thanks for the pics! How much weight do you think those rollers can handle? I am looking at a similar design, but a little taller, and one drawer will be for tools, chains, and other heavy stuff.

dyocis

Well, I drew up my drawer system, but my ideas aren't translating very well to 3D drawings. I think its going to be efficient and useful, but the drawing just doesn't do it justice. If anyone has any other ideas or pics, please keep them coming!

forest522

Forest522, Thanks for the pics! How much weight do you think those rollers can handle? I am looking at a similar design, but a little taller, and one drawer will be for tools, chains, and other heavy stuff.
Good question...I don't really know what kind of weight they would support. 50 - 70 lbs probably. I'll end up with chain and probably ammo in them once in awhile. Otherwise they will lock up stuff I don't want visible while at trails, etc.

They are only 36 inches deep and roll out just past the tailgate when extended. I had to rebuild most of the box to get it usable again. It was pretty well beat from the previous years and was chucked into the back of a rig along with other stuff that was to be thrown into the recycle bin. I put about $50 into it of materials and cut out a lot of the back end just to get it to fit.

The best thing about it, is the locking mechanism and solid drawer fronts. Good feeling of security.

Good luck on your project.

on1wheel01

Ok I have started the build on my cargo storage unit. It is 38" wide 30" deep around 15" high. Doing a standard box style with a hinged lid. I figure storage inside throw stuff on the top like bags tents and such.
I build custom sub boxes so I have all the tools needed lol

IMAG2893_zpscb0d3bd5.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks