• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Carpet/Flooring Ideas

jplace1011

Instead of spraying bedliner, I’m thinking of installing carpet into my M1009.

I’m curious: Did the M1009’s originally have carpet and what color was it?

LMC has Black and Red Carpet Kits available. My front seats, back bench seat and door panels are a Red Burgundy-ish color. I wonder if the Red Carpet from LMC will even match or should I just get black? Or purchase the carpet kit somewhere else?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunnyM1009

The CUCV line never had carpets. If you do go that route though. I suggest https://www.accmats.com/commerce/1984/Chevrolet/K5 Blazer/Flooring/1914/
This place is local to me made in Anniston Alabama and by what I've seen its quality stuff. Plus the have about 13 different colors to choose from. I've never seen it in person but the Maple/Canyon kinda looks like the color of my seets.

Last edited:

ssdvc

Unless your cab is 100% dry, I wouldn't install carpet or rubber flooring. I thought hard about this years ago. It may be a nice addition, serving to quiet down the interior and keep her a bit warmer in the cold, but it also can retain and trap moisture and accelerate rust through of the cab floor. Keeping rust at bay is a tough enough chore as it is, you don't need any more areas of concern. Just my opinion.

jplace1011

Unless your cab is 100% dry, I wouldn't install carpet or rubber flooring. I thought hard about this years ago. It may be a nice addition, serving to quiet down the interior and keep her a bit warmer in the cold, but it also can retain and trap moisture and accelerate rust through of the cab floor. Keeping rust at bay is a tough enough chore as it is, you don't need any more areas of concern. Just my opinion.
@ssdvc I’m beginning to think just repainting the floors with primer and spray paint might be a simple and best route.

The one good thing, I forgot to mention, is rain isn’t a real big issue. I’m in Southern California.

Squibbly

@ssdvc I’m beginning to think just repainting the floors with primer and spray paint might be a simple and best route.

The one good thing, I forgot to mention, is rain isn’t a real big issue. I’m in Southern California.

I did this to a beetle once. If you want sound deadening material, this stuff was great.
I'd probably throw a rubberized flooring over it.
Ultimately, bed liner is going to be the best bang for your buck, but you won't get sound deadening.

jplace1011

I did this to a beetle once. If you want sound deadening material, this stuff was great.
I'd probably throw a rubberized flooring over it.
Ultimately, bed liner is going to be the best bang for your buck, but you won't get sound deadening.

@Squibbly Hey Brother! You are such a handy guy!

I decided not to spray bed liner in the cab and here is why (I had no idea about this):

I will likely still spray the exterior of the fiberglass shell though. It should be a great way to protect that old roof!

ToddJK

For your area and region, I think some primer/paint and carpet is fine. I can see black or OD green looking pretty sharp. In other states with lots of rain or snow, especially if salt or liquid de-icer is used, then I wouldn't. Perhaps at that point, truck bed coating or something similar would work better in the long run.

jplace1011

If you do decide on carpet definitely consider replacing all the weatherstripping first and having a new windshield installed and resealed. I had a civilian blazer that I chased a leak for a long time and it was actually the windshield and not the doors or top.
You dudes sure have a lot of good knowledge to share. Thank you!

I haven’t wanted to spray bedliner into the cab because of the cancer causing agents, breathing in those fumes while in the cab over time, etc.

I have found a water based liner called Lizard Skin. I’ll look into that more and consider it.

Carpet sounds like a really bad idea for those living where it’s wet. I haven’t taken it off the table yet, since it’s so dry here in Southern Commifornia…uh California.

Either way it sounds like I need to scrap off that existing goop on the floor. I will also check for any rust while I’m at it. If I find any, I’ll sand, prime and spray paint it. All while wearing a respirator, I am not inhaling the CARC dust.

Isn’t it ironic that it’s called CARC and it’s CARCinogenic. They must have know, and in true military style, abbreviated it.

I am planning on replacing my roof soon, so I will have to really make sure there are no leaks when the windshield is installed. I was already planning on replacing all of the seals for the vehicle as well. I bought a whole set and they are on deck.

I’ll report back!

ssdvc

The air around you contains all sorts of crap you breath in every day, it's the "Parts Per Million" you have to be concerned about. I am thinking that once the bedliner stuff dries, since it is impermeable, it should not be "off-gassing" any critical chemicals in any significant levels to be of concern. Besides, if you don't have AC in your truck (like the majority of us), you'll be driving windows down and vents open for the most of the time, and have plenty of interior ventilation.

Lizard Skin is some pretty good stuff and depending on which product you use, can act as a decent sound deadener too. Just remember, prep is everything. Stuff isn't cheap and you'll want to do it right the first time. My 09 has a bed lined interior and it was done back in 2014 (IIRC) and it is still going very strong.

cucvrus

SSDVC Your m1009 has Line X sprayed in it. I had several CUCV's done in Line X. I did the DIY brush in liners and regretted it both times. The one was Durabak and the company rep used my M1009 truck as a model for a truck show and it looked good for the first year and then I discovered rust holes underneath that were weeping rusty water while I was on the lift getting an oil change. It was a nightmare getting it out and I had a few holes to fix. I had the same truck sprayed with Line X and used it hard as my wood cutting vehicle for over 10 years and never had an issue with rust again. DSCF4993True battle wagon.jpg

jplace1011

The air around you contains all sorts of crap you breath in every day, it's the "Parts Per Million" you have to be concerned about. I am thinking that once the bedliner stuff dries, since it is impermeable, it should not be "off-gassing" any critical chemicals in any significant levels to be of concern. Besides, if you don't have AC in your truck (like the majority of us), you'll be driving windows down and vents open for the most of the time, and have plenty of interior ventilation.

Lizard Skin is some pretty good stuff and depending on which product you use, can act as a decent sound deadener too. Just remember, prep is everything. Stuff isn't cheap and you'll want to do it right the first time. My 09 has a bed lined interior and it was done back in 2014 (IIRC) and it is still going very strong.
@ssdvc If I go with liner, Lizard Skin is what I’ll use. I would use two layers: the Sound Control and then the Ceramic Insulation.

You are very correct about preparing things correctly. I’m curious what exact/how to remove components for for spraying. I’d like to switch out my front seats with new ones while I’m at it. I may post something about all of that.

I’ll think on what to do with the floors in the meantime.

ssdvc

Lots of wire wheels and elbow grease, sanding discs will just clog. There may be some chemicals you could use, but in your neck of the woods they may not be available.

Let us know what seats you are looking to swap in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks