• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Charging Question

rod

Yesterday I jumped in the M1009 for the 1st time in about a month. When I went to start it, the GEN 2 light did not lightup during the GP cycle. After I started it the GEN 2 light had a faint glow. The voltage gauge never made it out of the yellow. When I rev'd the engine the GEN 2 light didn't seem to get brighter. Nothing changed when driving at highway speeds.

The M1009 worked fine when parked about a month ago.

It will be a few days before I am able to check the alternator output with the voltmeter.

Any ideas I could focus on before I pull out the TMs and start looking ?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the GEN2 needs a rebuild. In order for the alternators to charge the batteries, the idiot lights must be working. No light then no charge.

Start with charging and load testing your batteries. Then check the generators/alternators.

The tech manuals have a step by step procedure to check the charging system. And it has been discussed untold number of times in the CUCV forum.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.

rod

Couple of things after doing some testing -

#1 - Back battery was toast. Charged and took to local parts place to load test. Bad. Replaced both batteries.

#2 - Per instructions from Warthog, checked the wiring and all appears to be well.

#3 - Pull Alternator #2 and took to alternator shop. They tested everything and found that the rotor in the alternator is bad. I'm going to take another non-working spare alternator by there and let they make one good alternator while I look for another spare alternator or rotor.

We will see how this works out. Stay tuned.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes us old farts do know what we are talking about,

;)

People tell me I am a smart feller. or was that a fart smeller?

rod

WooHoo !!!! My M1009 us back up and charging correctly.

Thanks to Warthog for taking time to help me understand / clarify what I was reading in the the TMs regarding how to test the wiring / Gen lights and alternator.

Here is a recap of my problem -

- When I turned the key, my GEN 2 light glowed only about 25% brightness of normal.
- When I started the engine, the GEN 2 light continued to faintly glow.
- The voltmeter stayed in the high side of the yellow and never made it into the green side.

My bottom line take aways from this experience :
1) start will fully charges batteries which pass the load test
2) check to make sure your GEN lights are working according to the TMs
3) A voltmeter and the TMs are your friend, use them.
4) If you test according to the TMs, and the wiring and GEN lights are working correctly, then you probably have an alternator problem.

Thanks to Warthog again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks