• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Civilian hitch Install

M1009 Fiend

Gents,

I haven't been on i awhile but I got busy on and under my 09 last weekend.

After months of not having the proper tools or the proper work area, i was reunited with a long lost desert rat friend who has a nice shop, in Huntington Beach. between him and his partner they have enough tools to do just about anything.

My main goal with this install was to keep the pindle hook attached and able to support the stock or heavier load. As well as to have a civilian hitch:p

So we tore the bumper off and when through a dozen differnt plans that kept getting modified as we ran into more cutting and welding that needed to be done. After a ton of fun with a acetylene torch,8) various knuckle busting tools, burns, large amounts of cussing, re/dis-assembly more times than i can(or want) to remember. I have both working pindle hook and civilian hitch installed.

I just need to wire brush, rough up and paint.

Im debating on painting the whole hitch setup either black, or olive ? What you you guys think?

An if an one is interested I will do a step by step. The final set-up was better than I could have dreamed, and is far stronger than the stock/bolt on set up.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. [thumbzup]

There have been a bunch of guy here that have installed the receiver hitch that required no Blue Flame wrenching or welding. Straight bolt on. It did require alittle grinding. Barrman was one of them. He documented his install also. I guess it depents on who manufactured the hitch.

M1009 Fiend

Hmm ill check his out. But i love the set up none of its coming off with out a lot of cutting.

I wonder how he got the front passenger side bolt on, my hands and tools were not capable of getting around the frame rail and lining up the bolt.

firecontrol86

I just put a hitch on my 1009, the only problems I had were getting the 2 most rearward bolts out. I just used fishing line to pull the bolts through the forward holes(my hitch came with little plates for the forward bolts which were carriage bolts.) No cutting, welding, banging or anything.

GPrez

And I thought I was the only one crazy enough to weld in shorts and flip flops. I need to do that to my M1009 also. Thanks for posting.

M1009 Fiend

I just put a hitch on my 1009, the only problems I had were getting the 2 most rearward bolts out. I just used fishing line to pull the bolts through the forward holes(my hitch came with little plates for the forward bolts which were carriage bolts.) No cutting, welding, banging or anything.
I think i will try that. Do you have some pictures of your set ups?

spartan_185

That's a good looking setup. I wish I had the option to do something like that but the previous owner of my 1009 decided he didn't need a pintle hitch and just removed it and welded a receiver tube in its place.

M1009 Fiend

I guess I got lucky, my hitch bolted right on without any mods and doesn't interfere with the pintle hitch at all.
Yes you did, but I had more fun cussing, and beating the crap out of it then I've had in a long time. Plus its gonna be super strong.

That's a good looking setup. I wish I had the option to do something like that but the previous owner of my 1009 decided he didn't need a pintle hitch and just removed it and welded a receiver tube in its place.
That was option number two, but we wanted to be able to interchange them, and it was fab up a solid back plate set-up to hold the weight or use the hitch i already bought.

Kid Kodiak

What did you do about the wiring? I'm trying to figure out out to wire up a 7-round to my M1009.

Also, did you have to drop the gas tank to access all the bolt holes on the frame?

Midnight Rider

What did you do about the wiring? I'm trying to figure out out to wire up a 7-round to my M1009.

Also, did you have to drop the gas tank to access all the bolt holes on the frame?
You shouldn't have to drop the fuel tank.

As for the wiring, just go to Napa and pick up an adapter for an 84 model. Well that was for the 4 pin. I guess you could find one for the 7 pin.

M1009 Fiend

You shouldn't have to drop the fuel tank.

As for the wiring, just go to Napa and pick up an adapter for an 84 model. Well that was for the 4 pin. I guess you could find one for the 7 pin.
Agreed i got 3 of 4 bolts:driver: in no problem, with the bumper removed. the only one im debating on the the passenger side forward bolt. My hand couldnt fit between the tank and the frame rail, like on the driver side.

I haven't done my wiring yet but i will be putting in a 6pin and mounting it in the stock mounting spot.

Hightechken

I installed one of those "combo" hitches in place of the pintle hitch. Bolted right on same holes. (This is the hitch that actually is a pintle hitch, But with the upper part up, The lower part IS a 2 inch trailer hitch ball) Super easy to do, BUT the thing is far too high off the ground for the average trailer!
Installing a different receiver hitch down lower does seem like the best way to do it.

M1009 Fiend

Biggest thing I will be towing will be a 1500lb sandrail and equip. For now just my dirt bike.

As for a CHP inspection, Yes most defiantly, however i am no expert and have never been tested so...