• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Coolant Refill

JamieM1009

Hey

This might be a simple thing but i haven't refilled one of these before and I want to make sure i'm doing it right. I had to replace the rad as it had a small hole in the top and wasn't pressurising the system. I replaced the rad, cap, thermostat along with the upper & lower hoses, all brand new. I refilled the system, ran it til all warm & thermostat opened, cooled it, topped it up, etc & did this about 3 times. I also installed a temp gauge so i can see how warm its getting. All 3 of the trips it has been running at about 180 and pushing a small amount of water in to the expansion tank, then the stat opens & it cools down but when i used it today it pushed a lot more out & the heater was cold. WHen the gauge got to about 210 it suddenly started cooling & the heater went hot again, i presume there was air trapped & then it moved around. The truck runs & starts great & was fine before i changed the rad so im sure its just the way i have refilled it , etc but can someone just give me the run down on how i should have refilled this.

I should also say that i didn't run it with the cap off (just been told i should have) and when i refilled it i dont think it took in anywhere near what i drained out. How long should i run it with the cap off? How much coolant should i allow to overflow form the rad before i put it on?

Thanks

Last edited: