• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Coolant Refill

JamieM1009

Hey

This might be a simple thing but i haven't refilled one of these before and I want to make sure i'm doing it right. I had to replace the rad as it had a small hole in the top and wasn't pressurising the system. I replaced the rad, cap, thermostat along with the upper & lower hoses, all brand new. I refilled the system, ran it til all warm & thermostat opened, cooled it, topped it up, etc & did this about 3 times. I also installed a temp gauge so i can see how warm its getting. All 3 of the trips it has been running at about 180 and pushing a small amount of water in to the expansion tank, then the stat opens & it cools down but when i used it today it pushed a lot more out & the heater was cold. WHen the gauge got to about 210 it suddenly started cooling & the heater went hot again, i presume there was air trapped & then it moved around. The truck runs & starts great & was fine before i changed the rad so im sure its just the way i have refilled it , etc but can someone just give me the run down on how i should have refilled this.

I should also say that i didn't run it with the cap off (just been told i should have) and when i refilled it i dont think it took in anywhere near what i drained out. How long should i run it with the cap off? How much coolant should i allow to overflow form the rad before i put it on?

Thanks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks