• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 cranks but no start?

Haweneyu

Need some advice. My 1009 has always started quickly with no problems. Went out after work and it started and then died. It was really hard to restart as I had to hold it to the floor and crank for a while. When it finally started the belts squealed real bad but soon smoothed out and ran fine for the 1/2 hour trip home. When I got it in garage and shut it off it fired right back up. Went out an hour later it started and died again and now just cranks and cranks. Checked all glow plugs and all tested fine. Removed fuel inlet at filter and cranked it and got plenty of fuel. Have followed all recommendations from TM on cranks but won't start and all seem to test ok. (Plenty of fuel, no leaks anywhere, glow plugs,etc) Any ideas on what to check next? I live in the middle of nowhere and this is my only way out of here when weather turns bad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Haweneyu

injectors gone bad check your IP for leaks
Any easy way to do that? I don't see any noticeable external leak. Maybe pull glow plug and crank and see if any fuel in chamber? Any suggestions? Never had to mess with IP before. I've had this one since 2011 and have had no issues at all with it.

Haweneyu

Ok. So I went through most of the tests I found on here and in TM's and injector pump seems to be ok. I can find no visible leaks anywhere from tank forward but if I bleed the fuel filter it will start and run fine. If I shut it off and start it right back up it starts quickly and runs fine. If I leave it for an hour or so it won't start again unless I bleed fuel filter and then it starts right back up. I'm getting air somewhere but can't seem to find it. Any ideas on where else to look? Would switching to spin on type filter help? Thanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your fuel filter housing dry and clean? The fuel pressure sensor is known to leak and cause your issue. It's under the filter.

Is there any fuel in you oil? If so, your fuel pump may have a bad diaphragm.

Any of the steel lines could be rusted going to the tank.

The rubber lines connecting to the tank may be cracked.

The fuel line going into the tank may be rusted. You'll need to drop the tank for this.

Haweneyu

Fuel filter housing was clean but didn't drain it completely before taking it off so it was wet. No fuel in oil and I crawled all over looking for a leak in the lines and didn't find anything but I didn't pull the tank yet. Maybe it's the fuel pressure sensor. I've seen them mentioned on here so maybe I'll just order one from Owens and see if it helps if you can still get them from there. Any thoughts on going to spin on type filter? Is it a better setup or stay original? Thanks for the input. I never would have thought of that sensor and didn't see it mentioned in TM's.

cpf240

A visible leak in a line is not necessary to allow air into the system. Some have used an air compressor to pressurize the system from the fuel filler neck to be able to see leaks.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can have a leak at the filter body that may not result in fuel escaping, but air entering. I had this same problem if I parked the truck nose-up. Parking level or nose down would cause fuel to seep, but it started just fine because that didn't allow air to enter. If I parked nose-up for more than an hour or so I experienced the same thing you describe in your OP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks