• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 CUCV owners near Chicago

centurion

Dear fellow cucv owners,

I am a recently new owner of a 1986 M1009 that lives in chicago. I would love to keep my vehicle and use it as a daily driver especially for the upcoming winter but i have a problem which caused me to have my truck towed when i got stuck driving to work last week.

I am looking for others cucv owners that live in or near chicago. I have a few problems with my vehicle and would greatly appreciate networking to get some friendly help and advice. I am mechanically inclined but could use some guidance. If you are out there please respond back.

Also if any CUCV owners out there have had the issue of the vehicle shutting off after being driven for 1/2 an hour please send some advice. It seems to be a fuel issue as if something is choking the fuel when the vehicle heats up. I can keep driving it a little if i keep my foot on the gas but once the vehicle gets too hot, i have to pull over when it shuts off and i have to wait until it cools to start the process all over again.

The last time this happened i bleed the fuel lines of all the air, which seemed to help, i could actually see bubbles coming out of the fuel tank as i filled it up. , but if the vehicle sits for a few days it seems to gather air in the system again, or the filter or pump is faulty. I bought a new filter and will be installing it soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

firecontrol86

I'm in the chicago area, about 30 min north in waukegan/north chicago. I've only had my 09 since Feb, haven't had the same issue you have though. Have you tried the search function? There's a lot of questions and answers on this site if you know where to look. Click on search this forum and type in a few keywords and something will pop up. You might have to read a few that don't really help, but usually you'll end up with something useful

centurion

thanks for the reply firecontrol86! if you have any questions or comments feel free to contact me anytime and i will try my best to help you as well. thanks

dragon1124

I am in the chicagoland area, just outside the city limits. I just got my 1984 cucv and honestly think i was ripped off. I am mechanically inclined myself, and with this being a 24v system,along with diesel, I am unsure where/how to fix it thus far.

I just picked it up last wednesday, drove it all day with no problems. Thursday was when the problems started. Couldnt start the thing up. Had a tow, the starter needed to be replaced. After the starter was replaced, I drove for a half hour to get to work. After work it wouldnt start again. Had another tow, this time to my mechanic. Needs both batteries and both alternators. Have to wait for the alternators to get rebuilt since I couldnt find an isolated ground alternator in the area. Should be ready by monday afternoon. <Lets hope>

firecontrol86

So it just wouldn't turn over? I've heard on here that you need a certain number of cranking RPMs to even get the motor to kick, so it could just be tired batteries. That's too bad about your alternators though, just a little tidbit I picked up, if you ever have to replace the driver's side alternator again, some of the older Cadilac's had isolated grounds(the FAQ has the year and model). I'm gonna pick one of those up and probably rebuild the pass side.

dragon1124

Thanks for the reply. I'll check into the old caddy alternators for next time. It would crank but not turn over. It hesitated, then I guess the batteries drained out and she died. I am going to make a new post asking some advice on if I should keep it or get rid of it. It's been a headache for now.