• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 CUCV The Life Of 'Trooper'

Chevybrit

HI Guys
Thought I'd start a seperate thread of the ongoing mission to get my M1009 into a great daily working truck.

Trooper.jpg
I want to start with the current problem first and then I'll add some pics later of the things I'd done so far when i get chance..

Ok I had wondered if the truck doesn't actually get into third gear some weeks ago and read up and had some response earlier and still in the process of fitting a tacho but with driving OTR it takes me away for chunks at a time.
I wanted to check the RPMS for that 3rd gear change but something else happened yesterday that might shed some light on the problem. I pulled up in a parking lot and when i stopped it rolled just a little over the tarmac onto to the grass verge... it was about a 2-3" step. I put it in reverse and could get it back up !!!
I read a bit more on here and someone said it could be the vaccum line issue or the governor or low fluid levels.
Ive just checked the trans case level fearing the input seal had gone and it was overfilled.. fortunately its fine and very clean.
I'll check the transmission level in a minute when the truck warms up but i wanted to ask..

Is this where the governor is?

IMG_5742.jpg

I'd read that when taking the cover off things fly out... is that correct.

I want to check the nylon gear

Thanks in advance

Chevybrit

Ok, Transmission fluid level didn't even make it on to the dip stick! With that in mind I've put in a Quart and still nothing showing... the how to says you should warm up the transmission? is it sufficient to be stationary and just shift a few times through the box with the brake on or is it best to drive it around for 10 minutes? Is that why my level could be reading extra low?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep filling it until it shows at least.

dougco1

As seen in your photo it looks like you have a bad case of "the poor man's rust proofing" going on. A lot of oil says you have some seals leaking; thus the need to add tranny fluid.

cucvrus

Yes that cover with the 4 bolts is the governor. But I agree. that transmission is leaking more fluid then it is holding. It is time for an overhaul. Good Luck.DSCF2216.jpgMoney well spent. It is less expensive to do it now. If you run it till it burns up it can take/ruin more parts with it. Up to and including the case.

Assel

nice truck you have there..how long did you run it with not enough transmission fluid? If its now shiftig good then maybe you got away with it....how does the fluid look? red? dark? brown & smelling like it burned?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering why you would let it get that low to begin with.
If it's leaking as bad as it looks, then it needs checked daily if it's driven.
Your lucky it's still working at all.

I would also go to car wash and crawl under a bit and wash as much as you can off.

Maybe you'll luck out and it's just a pan gasket.

Chevybrit

Ive just bought the truck and done maybe 175 to get it home and around 50 at home .. the rest of the time has been spent going over Electrics (relay mod/shorts/gauge faults etc) Brakes and Front end bushes/ball joints steering etc. I'd just gotten to the trans and transfer case no

I'm wondering why you would let it get that low to begin with.
If it's leaking as bad as it looks, then it needs checked daily if it's driven.
Your lucky it's still working at all.

I would also go to car wash and crawl under a bit and wash as much as you can off.

Maybe you'll luck out and it's just a pan gasket.

LastFbody

I had an issue similar to this when I first got my truck. It never liked staying in 3rd speed. After checking the trans fluid and seeing that it was perfect cherry red I chalked it up to being how it was with the weird diesel not making natural vacuum but hooked up to a transmission that requires vacuum. Long story short I realized I had a big problem when I almost lost reverse backing up out of my basement garage.. turned out the rear transmission band was toast. Had it professionally rebuilt, and the difference is night and day with a transmission that works properly. You should be able to easily count the gears as you're driving with a th400 that's running properly, even if you have the vrv set for earlier softer shifts. My truck hits 3rd at 40mph on the dot every time, and then stays in 3rd unless it's under heavy load. When it was all screwed up, it would catch 3rd if I let off of the accelerator, but would drop to 2nd doing anything more than feathering the pedal, even up at highway speed.

Last edited:

Chevybrit

Cleaned the spindles up, so i don't see me having a mission in the future to break it all down... They were on TIGHT!

Cleaned spindle.jpg

27mm Socket seemed to be a good fit to drive out the Bushings..

Removing Bushings.jpg

Slit the spring pack..

IMG_5749.jpg

Wire wheeled them and coated with the graphite that someone on here had recommended..

EZ slide.jpg

Coated Spring pack.jpg

Last edited:

Chevybrit

Still waiting for the Leaf Pack Energy suspension bushes to arrive but i did put the sway bar back on after it got cleaned and painted and now sports the new ES bush kit..

SWay Bar.jpg

I like the plasticoat paint I've been using and hoping that it is pretty durable ..

Chevybrit

I got a little further with the vaccum issue also and checked the pressure from the pump
Vac gauge1.jpg

(dont know why the picture is cock eyed)

So i got 15in at the pump and also at the modulator ..

Vac Gauge2.jpg

I think i read that it should be 20"? I'm wondering if 15" is still functional ??
Comments ??

Last edited:

Chevybrit

I've ordered the Kit to rebuild the Trans and in a few days it should be here.. I think there must be an issue as It definitely DOES NOT shift up to 3rd. The kit includes a new modulator but i don't see it just being that if it shift fine in and out of second every time? I'm getting 15" vaccum at the modulator and compared to other threads this isn't exceptionally low.
Any thoughts would be welcomed..

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks