• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Custom Front Bumper Build

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very cool setup! Nicely executed.
I usually don't look at the vehicle modification/hotrodding section on here, so missed this the first time around.

Cheers

Reactions: D6T

jacksmad1

Thanks for all the likes and comments. The M1009 is currently in the shop getting a transmission rebuild. The front pump was leaking down and the clutch pack went out. I removed the old one and installed a rebuilt unit and it would not shift correctly from 2-3 and then downshifted any time you touched the throttle. Thankfully the builder is standing behind his build and is going to rebuild it and re-install it.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope your transmission's done and running great. Nice work on the bumper. I could definitely go for a front receiver hitch and winch mount, but how's the approach angle?

sue

Bumper mounted and first light bar installed.

View attachment 857908

Finally all lights installed and ready to go.

View attachment 857909

View attachment 857911
4ACA18C5-C425-4495-BF2C-7A8EFD323AAE.jpeg I need a picture of your mother, we must be related …haha
in making ours we needed it to be smooth on the front because we either tow a 44’ fifth wheel toy hauler or a 12’ camper with our Jeep on a flatbed trailer. So one way or another we are heavy in our travels. And for some reason people feel that we are going slower than we actually are and pull out in front of us or decide to cut us off with a lane change. our friends joke that we need to just carry a spray can of flat black paint with us because about twice a year we have an “incident “ .
two month ago someone could not read or decifer pictographs the numerous left lane closure signs on I-10 in Florida and came over on us. There was a Florida state trooper 50 yards down the way and saw the whole thing. Her comment to us was “nice bumper”. And yes he got a citation. And huge damage just aft of his right rear wheel.

sue

I was wanting to buy a heavier duty bumper for my M1009 but could not find what I wanted exactly and also could not afford to buy one that was close. I decided that to get one like I wanted I was going to have to build it myself. The problem was although I had a wire welder I had never fabricated anything this big from scratch. I had only used the welder to repair implements for my tractor and various other small projects. Also since I did not have any drawings or measurements to build from I decided to use CAD or Cardboard Aided Design. Cardboard is a lot cheaper than steel and once designed the cardboard is used as templates to cut the steel.

The following thread will document my process.

As it started, there was nothing wrong with the original bumper and guard but I wanted something more heavy duty. I removed and saved all the original bumper and hardware so if my grandson wants to return to original he can when he inherits the vehicle.

View attachment 857859

Bumper removed and beginning CAD design.

View attachment 857860

Originally the bumper stuck out too far after looking at it and I had to cut it back.

View attachment 857861

View attachment 857862
image.jpg And here’s our hmmwv front bumper with brush guard.
and excellent job on that bumper, pat yourself on the back and smile.

jacksmad1

Hope your transmission's done and running great. Nice work on the bumper. I could definitely go for a front receiver hitch and winch mount, but how's the approach angle?
I have never measured the approach angle. Will have to see best way to do that. Not an issue for me because I don’t do any rock crawling etc.

jacksmad1

I have never measured the approach angle. Will have to see best way to do that. Not an issue for me because I don’t do any rock crawling etc.
Transmission finally got repaired. The shop had to start all over as they couldn’t get first rebuild to ever shift correctly. Thankfully the shop stood behind their work. After I got it home I had to rebuild the transfer case. One of the shifter forks totally worn down. Hard to shift into gear and would pop out of gear easily on stop or deceleration. Bought new fork online and thankfully everything went back together. Hardest part was R&R on the transfer case.

sue

Transmission finally got repaired. The shop had to start all over as they couldn’t get first rebuild to ever shift correctly. Thankfully the shop stood behind their work. After I got it home I had to rebuild the transfer case. One of the shifter forks totally worn down. Hard to shift into gear and would pop out of gear easily on stop or deceleration. Bought new fork online and thankfully everything went back together. Hardest part was R&R on the transfer case.
Good for you, most transfer cases are a lot easier to work on than most people realize

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks