• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009/D10

2deuce

I'm a new owner of a 1985 M1009/D10 Blazer. Are all of these built the same? Did they all come with the same drivetrain? I know mine is original because I have the maintenence records with it.
Thanks

2deuce

I don't know what D-10 means either. I possibly thought it might have been a half ton version. Thats why I was asking if all M1009's were alike. This one was an Airforce vehicle. My paperwork calls it a MIL D10. The maintenance records list it as a M1009. Thanks for the help.

mangus580

whats the year on it? Somewhere around 87 I think, GM changed the coding for the Civvy versions. I think D10 might have been it.

yes all 1009s were identical, right down to the key.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the skinny on the prefix codes;
C= Conventional 2wd
K= Conventional 4wd
G= Van
P= Fwd Control
D= Military
Now to totally mess things up GM introduced the new line of trucks in 1988 but kept certain lines of the old trucks running. These lines included crewcabs, blazers and suburbans and some 1 ton single cabs. GM reassigned the C and K to the new trucks and assigned the following to the older body styles
R= Conventional 2wd
V= Conventional 4wd

Hope this helps!

Desert Rat

Leave it to GM (General Morons) to make a complex issue out of something simple and them really mess it up!! I own two (darn the luck!!). I miss Ford.........................

2deuce

Under vehicle specs on this site the M1009 is listed as a 3/4 ton. If I understand correctly the 10 in D-10 is half ton? So M1009's aren't all the same? or is the info in vehicle specs incorrect? I'm a little confused.

ida34

The drive train on the M1009 is a 1/2 ton drivetrain that probably has been beefed up a little for the military. Any GM with six lugs is in the half ton family. It would need eight lugs to have the 3/4 ton drivetrain. That being said actually gross vehicle weights differ alot more than the designations suggest. I have an F350 that is rated to 12,000 lbs gvw. With the truck weighing 6,500 That leaves 5,500 for payload. My math says over 2 3/4 ton capacity on a 1 ton chassis. My point is they have the 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton ratings to give them the model lines but the individual trucks may have more capacity that the family in which it belongs. Most of the familys have similar drive train components. I have a dodge with a 3/4 ton rated front drive axle for plowing while it is a 1/2 truck. I still has 5 lugs of the 1/2 ton family. The drive train of the M1009 is a 1/2 ton chassis they may have rated at 3/4 ton because of stronger components but it is still a half ton truck.

ida34

At least part of the diff is that fact that you have a 6.2 Diesel engine. It has alot of torque and pulling power. The stripped down half tons with small engines come closer to the 1/2 ton rating. Engine horspower and torque effects the rating. Spring rates and brakes are other factors. A trailer package truck usually has a higher GVW than an non package truck.

mangus580

Ida, the M1009 is virtually identical to the Civvy Blazer with a diesel. Only difference is the charging and blackout system, tow hooks, hitch. And Paint of course ;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that's not the only difference. GM wants to have customers like the DOD and will do certain things to get them. On the other hand the DOD has pull with everybody. The answer does not lie in the capacity of the vehicle persay but in the emmisions class. The DOD had no interest in running any type of emission equipment so they and/or GM came up with rating the ten-o-nine as a 3/4 ton so that they could run the "J" engine without the EGR provisions. With the 3/4 ton rating it qualifies for heavy emissions exemptions. The civy blazers all had the "C" engines with EGR.
Now you know "The Rest of the Story"

(Not a CUCV expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

N1265

Yea, I often wondered how my M880 was rated by the military as a 5/4 ton "off road" truck when it has the standard 3/4 ton drive train of the era.

Desert Rat

Geez,

This gets more confusing on a moment-by-moment basis. Leave it to the government to make chaos out of order......................................................... So my 1009 is a 1/2 ton or what??????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks