• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Dashlights Out

Foxnut

Trying to get my dash lights (plus Fan Control light and Courtesy light) working. Headlights work fine, hi and low. I also pulled the dash a few weeks ago and tested all the dash lights by putting 12 volts to where the plug meets the printed circuit board--all good.

Started on F-14 at the light switch with the dark green wire. My tester lights up at the switch and I can dim / brighten my tester by rotating the switch nob. Cool.

I follow the green wire off of F-14 onto diagram F-13 and we're at the Fuse Box. Pull the fuse, and I've power on the right side of the fuse plug. Fuse checks good and I reinstall.

Now to the gray wire leaving the fuse on diagram F-13. The diagram shows it going to a triple splice, with the gray wires going to the plug into the back of the instrument panel, the heater light, and the courtesy light.

I suspect this connection may be the source of the issue (since these three are all out), but where is the splice in reality / what's it look like?

My mind sees a big wire-nut (obviously I'm far from an automotive electrician). It kind of looks like the gray wire leaving the fuse panel may go up the steering column (hard to tell with all the bundles together), but that doesn't seem a logical direction to go / start tearing apart. There's also some gray looking wires entering a small box that seems to be riveted on the right side of the fuse panel but that looks like it might be something unrelated? Thanks in advance for any tips with finding these splices (or finding me the right tree to bark up if I'm barking at the wrong one).

Charles

Keith_J

Fuse blade holders corrode, get dirty and refuse to make connection at times. If you can easily pull a fuse (ATC blade), that is a problem. It can overheat the fuse, causing thermal damage.

I've cleaned and retensioned these holders with good success. Just did it yesterday on the step son's 1009 after he lost lights.

Foxnut

Thanks, Keith. I disconnected batteries and cleaned up the fuse panel a little. Squeezed the connections with a tiny needle nose pliers which helped some, but still could stand to be tighter. Anyway, I appreciate the tip. Got power to the other side of the fuse, but still no lights.

Had to pull the plug on the back of the dash to get the tester on the gray wire--figures it would be 2nd from the top right (with your head under the dash looking aft), the hardest to get at. Power at the gray wire (so much for worrying about the splices in the wiring diagram). Replacing the dash plug they came on. I guess it wasn't seated that well (I had cleaned up the contacts before).

Anyway, success even if every time I try to trace a circuit I seem to have started at the wrong end!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks