• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 dies after i rev the engine.. after having water in the fuel

parlusk

First off sorry for what is going to be a long post, but is seem as soon as you fix one problem with these trucks two more arise. First here is the back story (Story: We were up on the mountain and my 09 died out (water in the fuel) While trying to solve that problem my starter quit engaging (just clicked). While my buddy was walking back to get his truck I figured I would see what was wrong. I thought that my wire from the bus block might be loose. I crawled under the truck and wiggled the wire, the starter started kicking over with the ignition off, now I have a runaway starter. Well that starter and the water in fuel have been fixed, BUT now when I start the rig I have to pump the gas to get it started. If not it will it will run for two seconds and cut off. Once I get the truck running and idling it will idle fine until I rev the engine or let off of the gas then it dies much like a vacuum leak on a gas engine. The engine will accelerate fine and hold high rpms. I am hoping that my injector pump isn’t going out on me and that I am only pulling air in my fuel some somewhere. I did have to remove the filter several times while fixing the last issues. Right now I have very limited time to work on it and would like to have several things to check all at once when I get a chance.aua

llong66

Hi I am guessing that if you think air in the lines could be part of your issue, you have gone through and checked all of your connections looking for loose ones, damaged clamps? How about replacing the rubber lines if not at least giving them all a good inspection? Don't forget,at least on the truck versions of our vehicles, like my M1008, they have some rubber line right after the tank, jut behind the cab area. There is also a "junction block" right at the rear of the dog house area on the frame where one steel line stops and another starts, make sure those connections are tight. Another check for an air in the line problem is to use some clear line from the outlet on the IP to the steel line that is part of the return system, looking for bubbles, there are numerous posts on this. Just a few things to maybe help eliminate an air issue.

Good luck!
Greg

parlusk

Here is a video of what the truck is doing exactly. I replaced the return line coming off of the injection pump with a clear one and while the truck is running there is no air bubbles but as soon as you rev the engine and let it die there are several very tiny air bubbles that appear than after letting it sit for several minutes there is a bit of air left in the line I will try to get a couple of pictures of the line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yshIZFFyeJ4&feature=youtu.be

cucvrus

You also need to check all the metal lines. Use a mighty vac pump and check to make sure they are not rusted thru or rubbed thru. Anything is possible. Also check the small half dollar sized switch on the rear of the filter. It is pressed into the filter base. Do you see anywhere that appears to be wet with fuel? Also check the petcocks on the fuel filter base to make sure they are sealing properly. If it ran fine before the water it should run fine after. Water in fuel / bad fuel will not put air bubbles in the fuel. You have a leak. Check the right front inner wheel well connection at the frame and everywhere the metal lines run. I just replaced the fuel return , brake and fuel feed lines on my 1984 M1009. The mid ship lines inside the frame on the passengers side. They were very rusty. I did it as a preventive thing. Check it close I have seen air leaks with no fluid leak present.

parlusk

I got all of the water out and the water fuel in light has stayed off so far. I put a clear hose on the return line from the IP and you can see air when it shuts off

parlusk

I would imagine it has to be somewhere around the filter or the filter itself. I cannot see any wet spots but it is hard to tell. I have checked the drain valve and top valve and the are right and dry. I am probably going to do a spin on conversion getting this stock filter to prime is a pain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks