• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Different Seat Installation Question

ssdvc

OK, I just need to do something for a bit more comfort while driving in the 09. I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of decent condition 2003 Silveraldo manual bucket seats (the console doesn't come with them). I have sat in them many times and they are way more comfortable than the stock seats, they recline, they are a bit wider (so am I) and they have integrated seat belts and adjustable headrests.

That said, I don't want to muck anything up or drill any more holes in my cab floor. The 2003 seat tracks are totally different than the stock set up. The stock seats are basically 12 1/2" spacing for the tracks, but the Silveraldo seats are about 17" wide. They also sit a few inches lower than the stock seats.

I know there are some fairly knowledgable folks out there and I was wondering if 1), anyone has ever installed these seats in an 09 and two, what did it take to get them right ? I also want to make sure I install them safely, as the belts are integral to the seats so nothing flimsy will cut it. Again, I would prefer to not drill any holes if it can be avoided and I want to be able to put the stock seats back in if needed.

Any suggestions, directions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

cucvrus

Use steel flat bar and bolt it fast to the stock floor seat anchors. Then use 3/8" x 2" elevator bolts to attach the new seat pedestals to the flat bar. You will have to take it out and do some fabrication. I think it can be completed with no welding at all. Just patience and drilling. The elevator bolts make for a flush mount on the bottom and threads coming up. Make sense? If not I can elaborate more. Bur 1/4" x 2" steel flat bar worked for me. I also use 3/8" x 3" flat bar a few times. No holes were drilled in the stock floor and the truck was returned to stock when I sold it. You can do this. I know you can. Good Luck. Ask away.

ssdvc

RGR Rick, thanks. But I also need to bring the 2003 seats up between 2 to 3". Those seat tracks sit lower than the stock ones do and there are no risers attached to the 2003's like the stocks one have (2003's have seat tracks only). I am wondering if i secured the 2x3" flat bar to the seat tracks (front and rear) and then run 2" or 3" (as needed) square tube fore and aft, attaching them to the stock floor bolt locations? Then bolt the the flat bar on the seat tracks to a properly located set of holes in the square tube? Would that be a secure way to do it?

cucvrus

Hey I didn't see your response. But yes. You can build up from the floor with steel tubing. I prefer to use some stock pedestal for safety. I used Astro van pedestals and the M1009 pedestals also. I even used 1988-1998 pick up bench split seats in the M1009. Using my flat bar as a platform to build on. Never drilled a hole in any floors. Kind of weak as it is. Many are cracked from big behinds bouncing around on them and rusty thin. Use common sense and measure and level things as you go. Weld as needed and clean grind and paint everything before you finish the install. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks