• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 differential lube/oil & Torgue wrench

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

I would like to service the both differentials on my M1009.

I read the TM's on how to do this, it looks like something
I can do, so I am going to do it myself, while I am at work,
and off the clock, so I do not get in trouble for doing it at home.

But I need to ask, What are your recommendations for
differential lubricating oil?
The TM's say use "GO lubricating oil.."
So I am checking auto parts stores websites, and not finding any..

Also, it says I need a torgue wrench, what brand would you guys
recommend?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thank you,

CJ

Cucvnut

I have a craftsman Torque wrench. It is a great wrench.

As for Gear Oil you need 80/90W gearoil for both axles and the posi additive for the gov lock. ( rear axle only) and you need Diff cover gaskets you have a 10 bolt axle front and rear.

ralbelt

You can use RTV (blue) in place of the gasket. Just be sure to clean all surfaces squeeky clean before assembly. Brake clean will clean up good.

dstang97

So wait....there is a thread that has Frequently asked questions? Something that important should be first it the threads. possibly a sticky.

CycleJay

True,
But some times, even when you search for something, you cannot always find it.
So there should be no harm in asking those people in the know.

I for one, personally speaking, NEVER have a problem with someone asking me a question,
never have, and never will..

Thank you and good night,

CJ

ralbelt

CJ you are welcome, If I know the answer or where to find the answer I will always post it up, enjoy finding the answer, especially when the subject is on my to do list as was your question.

ryan77

I thought you dont need posi additive in a gov lock since it has the springs not a friction surface???

ralbelt

The FAQ states only the M1028 requires the GM additive. I believe that I have read that it should also be added to the M1008 locked rear diff.

Would it hurt to add it if not required?

ryan77

m1008,m1028,m1028a2,m1010,m1031 all need additive the m1009 has a different rear end a 10 bolt gov lock or as some call it a gov bomb!!! Complete piece of garbage for a rear end!!!

lindyp38

True,
But some times, even when you search for something, you cannot always find it.
So there should be no harm in asking those people in the know.

I for one, personally speaking, NEVER have a problem with someone asking me a question,
never have, and never will..

Thank you and good night,

CJ
amen.....amen.......i totally agree.....

ODdave

You do not need an additive. The only trucks that need an additive are the 1028 and 1031 and only in the front axle.

Dont waste $ on gaskets. Use GREY rtv. It holds up much better than the blue or black rtv. Gaskets tend to leak and i have seen the bolts loosen on the covers with the gaskets. Using rtv gives you extra assurance this wont happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks