• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 DL7157 ground question

mikey

I've installed a non isolated alternator on the driver side of my M1009, DL7157 from Autozone.

I understand it can only be used on the driver side and I understand it is not isolated. However, I'm not sure what I should do with the two ground cables that were connected to the isolated alternator I removed? One ground wire runs to the block and the other runs to the other alternator. There is a ground bolt on the back of the non isolated alternator. Do I ground them both there? Do I just zip tie them and not connect them at all?

I've read that the non isolated alternator does not need to be grounded as the bolts ground it to the engine. On the other hand I don't want to attach them to the ground bolt IF that may cause a problem with Gen 2.

If I do need to attach them to the ground bolt, I'll need to change the eyes on the ends of both cables because they are too small for the ground bolt.

Thanks

Mikey

rsh4364

I look forward to some expert advice on this post,I have never seen Gen 1 and Gen 2 grounded together and then grounded to block.My experience is limited to 4 local 1009s (2 of them mine) And only about 80k miles.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks