• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Drivers side alternator

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful with the China job alternators - hear they dont last long.
Filter Products Corp has the correct alternators as well. And they ship fast - i ordered my starter from them and got here in 3 days.
Having watched many of the CN alternators in acceptance testing, much to my surprise the CN units were as good or better than many of the OE unit's. Certainly better than the Mexican and other third world units I've seen. Maybe it's because they have been doing it longer.

dc_cucv

Having watched many of the CN alternators in acceptance testing, much to my surprise the CN units were as good or better than many of the OE unit's. Certainly better than the Mexican and other third world units I've seen. Maybe it's because they have been doing it longer.
we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm an electronics test engineer by trade and have been for 16+ years, and while chinese manufactured items do work, they are not built for quality, but rather quantity. I'm sure all the units you saw did pass QC/Accpetance Testing, but I'll be there were no long term regression/stress tests conducted in those tests. QC tests are usually pretty minimal.
If anyone has test data sheets or the like to support Chinese quality over mexico/canada/us i'd love to have a looksie and maybe i learn something.
I've bought enough cheap Chinese crap in my day to know 'you get what you pay for'.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one of those. It's still not charging. I'm going to rebuild both alternators now . Giving up on buying new
This is not hard, there is a sticky at the top of the CUCV forum on how to test the alternator on the vehicle. If you can't figure out to test it, take it and get it tested. If it's doa, send it back.

we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm an electronics test engineer by trade and have been for 16+ years, and while chinese manufactured items do work, they are not built for quality, but rather quantity. I'm sure all the units you saw did pass QC/Accpetance Testing, but I'll be there were no long term regression/stress tests conducted in those tests. QC tests are usually pretty minimal.
If anyone has test data sheets or the like to support Chinese quality over mexico/canada/us i'd love to have a looksie and maybe i learn something.
I've bought enough cheap Chinese crap in my day to know 'you get what you pay for'.
We absolutely will disagree. Most if not all of the units (not limited to alternators) my company manufactured, used electronics (regulators, control modules, etc) designed in the USA. I know this because I know the EEs that designed them and the SE that wrote the software for the microprocessor controlled products. I also have a pretty good idea of the manufacturing capabilities of the suppliers we used because I got to look at them first hand when I was in CN visiting our plant (I'm an ME).

YMMV, and there are plenty of substandard manufacturers to go around in all countries. I had the benefit of working with people that had worked for our competitors, so I didn't have to guess and I know which ones to avoid. But, if you really want to learn something, you buy samples and test them yourself, you don't look at test data you didn't produce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks