• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 electrical issue

chucveem1009

Hey guys, new to the forum and new owner of a 85 M1009 blazer, I have done a lot of reading on this forum before I decided to go ahead and purchase an m1009 and become a member. Unfortunately this isn't how in imagined my first post to be.
I have an issue, had my dash apart installing an oil pressure gauge and my radio slid back short circuiting my starter relay posts (dog head starter mod) it made contact and before I could get ahold of it to move it I heard a "pop" noise. Now when I turn on the key all dash lights light up except the "gen 2" light and when I try to start it all I get is the starter relay snap but the starter does not engage. I went ahead and put a new starter relay in but that didn't fix it. I've checked all the wiring I can see and fuseable links but I can't find anything damaged. I am somewhat new to these rigs and to a 24v system but familiar with old chevy stuff. Not sure where to look next, any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the very bottom fuse. It is the only 24v in the box.

chucveem1009

Bottom fuse in the fuse box under the dash or another location? I did hit them all with the test light and key on the ones that showed power showed power on both sides, tomorrow I can pull them and double check. I gotta work at the diesel shop early in the am (ironically enough) so I won't get back to it until afternoon/evening.

chucveem1009

Yes of course, I did unhook the negative terminals on both batteries when I started changing the relay etc. Probably should have just as good measure before but I was just trying to fit the gauge in the dash and was not dealing with any electronics nor expecting the fluke accident of my radio falling onto my relay! I suppose that's how lessons are learned.

chucveem1009

Went back over all fuses in the fuse box as well as fuseabke links on the firewall, all links are good fuses are all good, I checked the relay with the test light I'm not sure what all is suppose to have power but all 4 posts are dead with the key on, when I turn the key to start only one small post has power. Is there something I'm missing? Or another spot to look? What could have possibly been damaged by touching the two large posts on the relay together? Any advice is appreciated.

chucveem1009

AND if it makes things any less confusing, my horn, turn signals, and headlights/taillights also don't work. I am totally stumped on this one.

chucveem1009

You are right, it was not I must have bumped it putting the dash back together And in the midst of my newbism and frustration with my other issue didn't even think to look at that. I've owned this thing a week and between fuel filter housing issues, my rear window regulator, and now this I've only been able to drive it one day. Thanks for that!