• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 engine buzzing

richter1978

My1985 m1009 which I've now had for a year makes a metallic buzzing sound somewhere between 900-1400 rpm (a guess with no tach) in park N and 1-3. At idle it will sound more like a chain clanking. I have searched for and found good things to check. I checked the flexplate and bolts, found no cracks or loose bolts, tightened starter heat shield, rebuilt IP, rebuilt injectors. Vehicle runs great otherwise. Under the hood it sounds like the noise might be coming from left side alternator/power steering/valve cover. I'm not sure if any one of these can make a noise like this. Before the IP rebuild I was convinced that it was making the noise.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your air filter housing for vibration(put your hand on it with it running) and or, check your throttle cable to see if it is touching the hood. Both Will cause a loud obnoxious vibrating noise in a certain low RPM range

richter1978

Thank you Doghead, I have checked those as well and both are secure. I have had the loose air filter cover before, that is a bad noise. Thanks again.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Climb under and look closely at your motor mounts. See if you have metal to metal contact from the rubber sagging.

richter1978

Alright, Doghead motivated me to go take a look. One engine mount looks like it may be makeing contact, so I put a thin piece of carboard between mount and frame, but the noise was still there. Decided to pull the alt. belts, to isolate the ringing/buzzing, noise still there. Went to loosen steering pump and noticed that the upper mount was missing it's nut. Found a replacement, noise gone! Thank you for the quick replies and the motivation.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you found it!

91W350

Another good source is the starter brace, they rattle like a chain at lower rpm and we really need them to be tight. Glen

mr.travo

Had the same problem. Whoever installed the last power steering unit did a crappy job! A bunch of the nuts were loose and I was missing a nut that tied in to the bracket as well.

wired1000

I had this exact problem... though it was probably my own fault... I recently re-tensioned all my belts and must have missed that one nut when re-tightening.

mr.travo

Ya, the power steering is a BEAST to get tight and crank down by yourself. I have done one by myself and I am not excited about changing all my belts next week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks