• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Exhaust

True Knight

Could any of you guys take a video of your exhaust to see how it sounds? Trying to decide what i should go with?

Thanks
I can't find the videos I took of just the exhaust when I first put it on, must've been on my old camera. But I have some videos on youtube that you can hear the exhaust pretty good.

Here is a link to the video you can probably hear the best.

tankie88

I had a complete stainless steel system made 6 years ago using the original system as a pattern.With flowmaster mufflers.Not had one prob yet.Quiet on tick over and cracks off nice when putting your foot down.:whistle:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Flowmasters 40's are simply a straight flow through muffler

There are generic mufflers that cost WAY less than the Flowmasters and sound just as good

I have them on my Suburban, M1028A2 and my M1009

Plus, you could replace the 1 7/8 inch pipe with either 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch pipe and will increase your flow OUT.

Then add a K&N filter and it will have better get up and go.

Anubis8472

Never been a fan of flowmasters.
To much 'new age' and not enough 'hot rod' to them.
The low end has a fake sound to it. It changes the tone to much.
The sound should come from the engine, not the mufflers.

But then, I prefer open headers on everything.
I want my mufflers to take it down a notch so I don't have to personaly meet all the officers of the local PD. The last thing I want them to do is change the sound. Unfortunately these days the 'new cool' is that fake echoing sound that flowmaster champions. I think it sounds like a fart in a tunnel.

That said, I don't have experience with these 6.2's, so I'm going to have to experiment likely this fall as one of my factory cans is rusted through and making a 'knocking' noise.

Step one will be straight pipes.
Step two will be glasspacks.
Step three will be gutted mufflers.
Then I'll go from there.

I would like to do a new system on my 09 also. But im looking for less noise and more performance than stock. Any suggestions?

I think just about anything is better flowing than stock. If you take a CUCV muffler off you'll see what I mean. It's like a 30x12" concrete block. I don't think any exhaust will really gain much performance on a 6.2 though, just a little more responsive, maybe a little better fuel economy.

I think just about anything is better flowing than stock. If you take a CUCV muffler off you'll see what I mean. It's like a 30x12" concrete block. I don't think any exhaust will really gain much performance on a 6.2 though, just a little more responsive, maybe a little better fuel economy.
Got it. Yeah not looking to get much more performance from it, just breath better. while still taking down the sound a bit. Kinda like what I think a good balance of what it should have come with as a military vic.