• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Exposed fiberglass hard-top

kallisti5

So, I'm noticing the exposed fiberglass on my M1009 is suddenly rapidly accelerating.
I'm currently experimenting using bondo-glass on the exposed areas to try and seal them,
but so far the results haven't been great. (and it's going to take a lot of bondo)

Any ideas?

I wanted to keep the M1009 stock since it's kind of a farm / utility truck at the moment, but I think a
replacement hardtop or maybe a soft-top might be in its future :-|

IMG_20180811_141613.jpg

IMG_20180811_141624.jpg

cucvrus

Sand it and lay a light layer of finish filler on it. Sand it smooth and repaint it. Or crush it burn it and replace it. I have a few but I am in Pennsylvania.

corvette9

Simple polyester resin. You can buy it at any automotive store. mix it and apply with a brush. It will soak into the dried out glass and once hard can be sanded then you can repaint the top. You can also buy an additive to put in the paint to duplicate the texture.

nyoffroad

Easier than bondo or mat and resin, go to an auto paint supplier and get some Gel coat. Gel coat is what is applied to the mold before the fiberglass, gel coat is sandable and paintable and is available in some colors or even tintable. Its high build and easy to use and requires little surface prep. If you have trouble finding it at auto shop check boat dealers but anything boat related is 20-50% higher.:)

edpdx

When I painted my entire '09 at the Community College Paint shop my instructor told me to use the high-build Polyurethane primer on my fiberglass top- which was starting to show 'glass'. "Lay it on real heavy- three or four coats."

After that I laid the Gillespie 383 on thinned with Xylene. Dried as I hoped, and the finish is great after 5 years now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks