• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009, first drive

robd

cucv2.jpgcucv3.jpgcucv4.jpgcucv5.jpgcucv1.jpg

My first steel soldier!

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6395642

How did I do? Its about 100 miles from me, and the best price I've seen on a running one in a while.

Obviously needs some body work, buy I'm super excited.

Question though for you vets. What should I bring for / do to the truck to make sure it survives the 100 miles home. I'm no master mechanic, but I'm handy.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

scoutdoors1000

Most will say do not drive it back.
IF you do....Batteries, Kick the tires, TIME and lots of it. AAA gold so you can tow it the whole way should something go bad. Check the axel, the stearing, The oil level
Metric wrenches, Jack, Spare tire, air pump,

Never recovered one myself but have one and have had problems. AAA gold or platinum is the way to go.

Welcome to the addiction.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS: A couple things from a quick glance. There is more than a little body work on this one. You have both rockers gone, that means the floor will also have problems both front and rear and the rear tailgate. Nothing of course that can not be fixed with some time and effort. I would camp out in the CUCV section and start reading.

Have fun and be safe!

A trailer.

Just because GL says its running or driveable, doesn't mean it is. Could have been running when it was parked at the lot, but the batteries might be gone now, or fuel filter is clogged. I don't have experience recovering vehicles from GL. But from what I've seen on SS, expect nothing but the worst when recovering from a base. Otherwise you might just have to see what you all need, you'll definitely want tools. And spare fluids at the least.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the win.

CUCVs are not good canidates to drive home. Too many issues that may interfer with the recovery. Trailer it home is possible.

Added your pictures to your thread. GL links go dead after awhile and make threads useless.

alburms311

Congrats and welcome to your new addiction! I recovered mine from a family members driveway that had been sitting for 4 years, here's the big things done before driving home. Needed new batteries, bought two of the commercial ones from Napa, changed oil/filter, added air to tires,topped off all other fluids. I had wires cut and missing from my aunts step son tinkering, so a lot of new wiring, fuses, and Internet access to reference this site. When I would go up the slightest hill it's seemed like it would die, lost all power, so I stopped at the next auto parts store(seemed like it took forever to find one)and bought a new fuel filter and that done the trick. Like the others said, if you can't trailer it back, take plenty of tools and a multimeter. Once you get it home, the real fun begins:)

robd

Thanks all for the great info. My noobish ambition is definitely showing. :)

I totally expected to do some major sanding, welding, and body work. I'm excited for he challenge . I've been lurking on the forum for a couple years, learning as much as I could

I have AAA Plus which gives me a 200 mile tow. I don't have a trailer, but that's my safety blanket.

I already expected to bring my tools and jacks, oil / filter, other critical fluids.

I'll be sure to grab a fuel filter and batteries.

Can't wait to learn, and I thoroughly appreciate the warm welcome.

Insane Mercc

I almost had a heart attack when I seen you are from Minnesota. I thought you were going to steal my CUCV out from under me that I am planning to buy literally tomorrow on my way throught the cities. LOL You scared me so much so that I rushed to make an account to view the images. Whew!

Listen to what these guys tell ya about these CUCVs. Please try your best to get a trailer to haul it home. And LMCTruck has every single body part you need. Including the rocker panels and the sheet metal for the floor.
Congrats on making the plunge... I'm already planning my first trip to the parts store. Uff-Da! :tank:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog said:
Added your pictures to your thread. GL links go dead after awhile and make threads useless.
Warthog you softy what happened to the hammer :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveUK

Hi robd,
Congratulations. My 1009 could be your twin but in green, the same rust and the same dings and dents. I have had mine (bought in the United Kingdom) for a couple of months and am only now getting stuck into it. Ditto on the body rust - my floor needs some serious work and is a high priority.
It might be too late now but reconsider driving it home. Apart from a run around the block I had not driven mine far. The other day I moved it to a new location - about 5 miles. Suddenly I knew what the term 'Death Wobble' meant! Anything above 25 mph and it was like a thing posessed (Christine - for old timers).
I should have noticed the very wet and dirty steering stabilizer. A new one is on its way and I hope it improves the drive (though taking note of many forum members I do not expect it is the cure for other steering issues) Anyway enjoy your Steel Soldier.
Steve

robd

Got it today, mixed feelings of joy, and a little concern.

First off, the engine condition is phenomenal. Obviously well cared for. When I checked the oil, it was near perfectly clear. Pbby didn't need the change, but I did it anyway. Tranny fluid perfectly clear. The fuel filter looked fine, but changed it out to be sure. Air filter couldn't have been more than a year old, and the belts were changed withing the last year or two. Tires in great shape, newer mufflers, and newer rear shocks.
Was fully prepared to have it towed home, but had absolutely zero concerns on the drive home.

As I expected, the rust was pretty bad. There are holes in the driver and passenger floor, there is a lot of corrosion by the passenger seatbelt, and the rocker panels are almost gone. There is a lot of surface rust on the undercarriage, which may be more than surface in some places. Going to be a lot of fun with the wire brush/wheel.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it today, mixed feelings of joy, and a little concern.

As I expected, the rust was pretty bad. There are holes in the driver and passenger floor, there is a lot of corrosion by the passenger seatbelt, and the rocker panels are almost gone. There is a lot of surface rust on the undercarriage, which may be more than surface in some places. Going to be a lot of fun with the wire brush/wheel.
LMC Truck, get new rockers, floor panels and go to town. Replacing all that metal is a bit of challenge but any body shop or resto guy can do if you feel it might be a bit over the top. It would be over the top for me.

robd

LMC Truck, get new rockers, floor panels and go to town. Replacing all that metal is a bit of challenge but any body shop or resto guy can do if you feel it might be a bit over the top. It would be over the top for me.
WAY ahead of you. :)
I've got time, patience, and good problem solving. I'm going to give it a shot. If I get in over my head, I've got people, but I take a certain amount of pride looking at a finished project, hoisting a beer with my cut, scraped, and bruised hands and saying "I did that". :)

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David with that attitude you are in great shape, please keep everyone posted on progress and ask questions!

We look forward to watching your progress!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks