• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 flexplate. and suggestions before I pull it (VIDEO)

parlusk

It seems I work on this thing more than I drive it. Its nothing like my deuce. With that said I have had bad luck with starters. Mine has recently been doing this ( see video) When I pull the starter I noticed my support bracket is gone. The flywheel looks worn but isn't destroyed by any means. I was looking at it tonight and decided to bolt the starter back on to see if i was missing anything...It looks good when I snug the bolts up but when i tighten them it looks like its pulling the starter out a bit. Any suggestions? It seems to me that the gears aren't making good connection but i would be wrong... Starter was not shimmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svLbHdCiLwM&feature=youtu.be

cucvrus

Is the starter support bracket in place? I am not sure what I am seeing. Does the starter just engage and disengage? I appeared like you hit the starter several times and the engine turned over. Won't it stay engaged enough to start. And sorry you are having so much trouble with it. Someone must have owned it that had no idea what they were doing with it. I have seen a lot of these CUCV'S like that. Good Luck and Happy New Year.

parlusk

It does look that way. When the engine stops turning the starter is spinning but not engaging. I turned it over till the starter would not engage and pulled the starter thinking that is where the bad part of the flexplate would be but it really didn't look any different then the other parts. I guess i need to drop the bottom housing and see what is going on.

cucvrus

I just thought of something else. This happened to me. I bought a low mileage CUCV M1031 at a PA state sale. It did this type of similar action. It had a 12 volt starter on it. Are you sure it has the correct starter? It was anew starter but was 12 volt. It had 3 other 12 volts starters in the back all new and a 24 volt OEM starter in the rear compartment. It also had 2 batteries under the hood and 2 in the rear compartment hooked up to the buss bar also. IDK what they were thinking but it only had 12K miles on it and everything was intact and operational. It did not bring big money at the auction because it was a off site blind bid. Check that out and let us know. Happy New Year.

nyoffroad

When you remove the cover drop the starter and check to see if the drive gear will move freely in and out. If oil gets on it from a leak it can collect dust and dirt and then 'stick' that might cause the gear to only partially engage and 'slip'? Do you hear a grinding when the engine stops turning over? Could be an intermittent connection on/in the starter solenoid too.
Years ago I had a gas engine do something similar , turned out the copper bar that carries the current from solenoid to starter was loose and arcing.

parlusk

Yeah, this one is a 24v... I have several extra starters that I pulled off of some old 08s and one wasn't marked. i didn't really pay any attention to it when I installed it...I was like man, this is a fast starter.. After about 12 starts it busted the starter case. It was a 12 starter lol.

parlusk

After this video was shot i tried another starter and it kept sticking... I am glad I put a battery cut off switch to keep it from running away. I have the Doghead mod installed (one of the first things i did). When i get some free time, and am ready for a face full of dirt and mud I am going to work on it at little more. I am thinking that the back bracket has something to do with it. I have no clue how i lost that support bracket. Good thing I have a spare.

cucvrus

And may I recommend now that you discovered the support bracket is missing and you did attempt to start it without the bracket. I would also go the extra measure and replace the starter bolts. They don't like to be twisted and bent back and forth. The price of 2 new starter bolts is far less then the cost of trying to get a broken bolt out. And I always knew the starter relay mod was not the fix all on these starter sticking issues. Good Luck I always think most starter issues begin with weak undercharged or worn out batteries. Get the current batteries load tested and check the cranking amps.

parlusk

UPDATE... I installed the starter again today with the rear bracket. It fit a lot better, and she fired right up. no grinding, no catching, nothing.

Last edited:

parlusk

Just my luck... drove it about 2 miles and she dies... I am pretty sure I have a lot of junk in my tank.... I am going to but a inline fuel pump and bypass the fuel system to confirm it isn't he ip or lift pump.

cucvrus

I would change the lift pump and drop the fuel tank. You would be surprised at the trash and sediment in the fuel tank sock filter and the bowl of the lift pump. It is a bit of work to drop the tank but make It worth while and paint/undercoat the tank/skid plate and replace all the fasteners while you are reassembling it. By all means replace the fuel sock in the fuel tank and also new fuel lines from the sending unit to the frame will make for a nice job. I always drop the fuel tanks and clean out the tanks. You will be amazed at how dirty they are inside after 30 years. The lift pump is always wise to replace it is an inexpensive item sitting in your driveway. Out on the road failures are 10 fold the cost of replacing it at home. Good Luck. I hope that helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks