• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Frame & Suspension Question

cucvrus

May I suggest that you get Energy suspension urethane motor mounts and use your OEM steel clam shells from the motor mounts. Also you can replace all the rubber bushing and cab mounts with the Energy suspension urethane bushings. And I do agree that they (the bushings)are no longer effective. Years of diesel fuel and wear have taken their toll on that old rubber. I just replaced all my bushings and motor mounts on a couple of my M1009's and 2 M1028's. I used the Energy suspension bushings. Getting the old ones out is no real issue if you have access to an oxygen acetylene. Most of my thru bolts came right out a few not so easy. And the front leaf springs at the rear shackle bolts go inward. May I suggest you just burn or cut the bolt off and put the bolts in from the outside instead. On the drivers side the shift linkage is in the way and on the passengers side the exhaust in it the way. Just cut the bolts and replace them with grade 8 same size and length. Take one of the bottom bolts to the hardware store as a sample. A 6 inch F clamp is the best thing you can have for this job (a portable press)and the torch set. A bit messy with gooey rubber but it is a full day job to do it on the ground with out a lift. One corner at a time is how I do it. Do the sway bar while you are at it. Good luck . Ask questions I will help you in anyway I can.

Csm Davis

All -
No luck with this in forum search. I need to be able to communicate with parts guys and mechanics regarding the M1009.

Questions:

(1) Are the M1009 frame, suspension & axles standard GM civilian items?
[/QUOTE ]

Short answer is yes

(2) If so are they 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? Does the K20/K30 nomenclature relate to 1/2T and 3/4T?
[/QUOTE ]

They are K5 1/2 ton Chevrolet Blazers

(3) If the M1009 is equipped with non standard frame, suspension & axles items, what are the differences?
[/QUOTE ]

There were a few special options that were added the engine is the same as the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks because the military wanted to be able to swap engines with only one part number. In order to get the 3/4 ton engine they needed a 3/4 ton vehicle so they used a 3/4 ton front spring pack that has 3 leafs vs 2 in the stock K5 but I believe you could get the 3 leaf pack as a snowplow option. As was posted earlier the bigger rear brakes and the different 350 engine mounts were also part of the list.

I need to replace the shocks for sure and probably the springs - it is sagging on the right side. May need tie rods and whatnot as well, the steering is sloppy.
Thanks
Jim
[/QUOTE ]

So if you get the K30 front springs and the rest K5 parts you should be good. I know Jim may not need this now but may help others that are working on thier M1009.

Last edited:
OK, I'm a few years behind,....

I have an 86 M1009 that needs a motor mount, and the front leaf springs repaired or replaced. Apparently a fuel/oil leak has damaged a motor mount, and a bushing on one of the leaf springs.

Reading this thread, I wanted to verify that I'm understanding things on the motor mounts. I need to order 350 gas motor mounts instead of 6.2l?

Can the bushing in the leaf spring be replaced, or do I have to replace the leaf spring all together? If I do need to replace the leaf springs (I would replace both), what springs should I be looking for? I'm seeing conflicting information here about the type/model of springs, ei; the M1009 and the civilian models are different. Also, I'm running 33 inch tires, and would love an inch or two more of clearance. Is there an easy, cheap lift fix?

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a very limited budget, with no spare time for this vehicle to be down, so I need to get this right.
I ended up putting a bumper (custom) and winch up front and wanted to give it a little more spring. I used the HD (4 leaf) springs from SD Springs and was VERY happy with the results. They are rated for 1,900lbs and the truck rides so much better its hard to believe, if I didn't have the extra weight up front I might have just run the standard 3 leaf. I also run a plow in the winter on the old girl and she does just fine as well. After putting the front leafs on I wished I had ordered rear leaves as well, that's next. The front got lifted up an inch or so maybe more likely that the original springs were a bit tired after 30 plus years of use. SO the rear will be getting new springs also from SD truck springs. I have to say i was worried as everyone said new leaves would turn the m1009 into a little red wagon feel. They were dead wrong, ride quality is VERY VERY GOOD! I should have done this when I first got the truck by the way, these HD springs for the front were only $108.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its a no brainier.

Good luck with the truck and let us know how it goes and take pictures.

Link: http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7337

2deuce

The innovation, vast experience and new products are reasons I come to steelsoldiers. There is something new in almost every thread. Suspension questions are asked fairly often, and read them looking for information to store away for when I might need it. I would advise a CUCV poster to use the -20 as a last resort. You have to use google to narrow a search down too, so I don't use the search here either. If people were only referred to the manual or search, this site wouldn't be so good. Thanks to the original poster as I learned new things today about my CUCV's and how to work on them. I'm going to go back now and thank those that stayed with this post and made it valuable to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks