• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Fresh Resto (Combatmech)

combatmech

Thanks Warwag. One of these days I'll have to drive the truck out to Nevada. Or just move back to Reno like I want.
I'm active duty Navy based in Norfolk. I grew up in Dallas and still have family there. I bought the truck from a dealer outside of Austin and had it shipped to Va last June. Being the Texan that I am, just couldnt stomach having Va plates on any of my cars.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks

Thanks for the comps. The truck turned out real nice. I am sold on the BFG's 33X12.5X15 tires I am going to get a set for my M1009.

Good working with Ben...nice people in this hobby! [thumbzup]

David

WARWAG

Thanks Warwag. One of these days I'll have to drive the truck out to Nevada. Or just move back to Reno like I want.
I'm active duty Navy based in Norfolk. I grew up in Dallas and still have family there. I bought the truck from a dealer outside of Austin and had it shipped to Va last June. Being the Texan that I am, just couldnt stomach having Va plates on any of my cars.

When you head back to Nevada we will put your M1009 and my M1028 to work checking out some Ghost towns and fishing holes near here. As far as moving back to Nevada we need all of the clear thinking individuals we can get! [thumbzup]

WARWAG

Thanks for the comps. The truck turned out real nice. I am sold on the BFG's 33X12.5X15 tires I am going to get a set for my M1009.

Good working with Ben...nice people in this hobby! [thumbzup]

David

Every year I go through 3 to 4 sets of tires on my work truck. Of all of the tires I have tested, the BFG A/Ts last the longest and give the best ride not to mention work extremely well in the snow and wet/dry pavement. They are like any other All Terrain in mud......... The last set of tires I had installed on my work truck were the Goodyear Dura Tracs. They were new and I had not had a chance to try them out before. Well the verdict is in and I like MY BFG A/Ts better. The Goodyears are not a bad tire but the BFGs are just better made and have a better tread design that works. I think the perfect combo would be to have two sets of rims. One with the BFG A/Ts for winter and summer with the other set of wheels with BFG M/T KM2 tires for the "muddy" season.

Last edited:

1stSarge

WOW. David that turned out great. I need to figure out a way to do without mine for a while so I can get it to Maryland…

Maybe I just need to get another one…

Woodsman

snip...I like MY BFG A/Ts better. The Goodyears are not a bad tire but the BFGs are just better made and have a better tread design that works. I think the perfect combo would be to have two sets of rims. One with the BFG A/Ts for winter and summer with the other set of wheels with BFG M/T KM2 tires for the "muddy" season.
I've had very good luck also with the Goodrich A/T's on all of my other vehicles. They last quite a while. When it comes time (shortly I hope) to pick up a M1009 I was considering the M/T LM2 tires as a reasonable selection, but not too sure on how they would behave on dry streets. May be the way to go is have both mounted and ready to go when needed?

David, this '09 turned out very well. I was curious what the black and green camo would look like, now I know. I'll bet the owner is a happy camper!

WARWAG

I've had very good luck also with the Goodrich A/T's on all of my other vehicles. They last quite a while. When it comes time (shortly I hope) to pick up a M1009 I was considering the M/T LM2 tires as a reasonable selection, but not too sure on how they would behave on dry streets. May be the way to go is have both mounted and ready to go when needed?

David, this '09 turned out very well. I was curious what the black and green camo would look like, now I know. I'll bet the owner is a happy camper!
After I have Dave do his magic on a M1009 for the wife I will have those two sets for the vehicle. They are great tires but the KM2s will wear out fast if used year round as will any MT.

combatmech

Hey Woodsman,
Yes, I am very happy. The cammo pattern....after going through four or five ideas, I did the color by number thing out of the CUCV painting TM came up with whats on the truck. Wanted something a little different...that and I am not a fan of the CARC brown. I'm kind of a hot-rod guy, and had considered a flame job on the front of the truck. I'll save that for a true hot-rod.....
Tires.... BFG's are well worth the money. Going down the highway at 65, they have a very pleasing hum to them.[thumbzup]
I really miss getting out an about in Nevada. I still have my ghost towning guide book Warwag, I'll be sure to bring it with me!!

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another one done !

Another truck delivered and another satisfied customer!

Ben picked up his truck and was (I think) very happy with the results of the resto/paint job. Now onto the next one…[thumbzup]

David

kenz5380

I apologize if you've been asked this before, but I haven't read all your threads. What is the product/procedure you use to die the dash, door, kick panels? Your results look great. Thank you.

combatmech

Howdy all,
Yes, I am VERY happy with how the truck turned out!!! Thanks again David for quality work!! If and when I get another one ( I see a 1008 in my future ) I would not hesitate to bring it to you.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks