• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Front Axle or wheel vibration

mr.travo

Ok,

I have tried everything I know how to do. Several months ago my 1009 was developing a vibration from (what seems to me) the passenger side. I figured it was the old tires finally letting go, so I replaced them. I stuck to the original size yadda yadda. The vibration has gotten worse and it seems to love to happen around 55 to 65ish. I have had the tires balanced and rotated several times and no change.

Today I ordered new tie rod ends and they are on their way. So, while I am waiting I bought new front shocks and steering stabilizer and hung them today. I noticed a VERY NICE change in the way the front end handles and the vibration seems to dampen a little bit. The shape the shocks were in, it had no choice but to get better! But I know I am still not there.

So after my road test around some bumpy backroads I came home and parked the truck with the wheels cocked. I inspected the axle shaft u joints and spun them. I noticed that there was about 1/2 an inch of play when I slide the axle in and out. Is this normal? Both sides seem to spin too easily (my opinion though). Is this normal?

With that all being said, what do you guys think? I am starting to wonder if there is a bent rim. The characteristics of the problem are just like an unbalanced tire, but it checks out (say the clowns at Discount Tire). I am kind of at a loss. I know the parts I'm hanging are in need of being done ANYWAY so it's not like I am wasting money. I just want to catch something before it leaves me on the side of the road or SENDS me to the side of the road.

Any :2cents laying around?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

mr.travo

I have done that but cant remember the outcome. I bought the tires from Discount Tire and had them put on in Jan of this year. I have only put on 3,600 miles since then. I know I have rotated them once (I do it about every 2,500 miles). I was looking at the tires just a little bit ago and noticed that three of the tires were good, but the front passenger is showing some signs of dry rot around the rim. It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen before. I am wondering if it is a defective tire and is already separating and that is causing the vibration. I need to talk to those knuckle heads down there and have them balance and rotate them again and take more notes. If it follows that tire then I can turn right back around and exchange it as a defective tire with no charge.

Outside of that, does anyone know anything about those front axle shafts turning so easily? Could this also be because of a worn axle shaft u joint? I grabbed both shafts around the u joint and couldn't feel any slack. I have had to replace them in my Dodge and I can't get them to "clunk" or "rattle" like the Dodge did. Of course the Dodge had a live front axle, no lockout hubs.

Thanks guys!

cpf240

If the tire looks bad, I would not want to run it any longer than I had to. When you have it in for the rotation and balance, see what they have to say about it. Is there a tire recall database anywhere?

Sorry, don't know about the u joints and shafts, but am looking forward to reading what others have to say about them.

camogriz

The front axleshafts as you describe them seem to me to be normal. Mine spin freely when the hub is unlocked and I am able to slide them in and out a bit. For some reason, your vibration makes me think of a driveshaft that is out of balance or bent, or a bent rear axleshaft. It may also be a bent wheel as mentioned before, but you would think the vibration would go away or change when the tires were rotated. Your dryrotted tire may have something to do with the vibration, but you noted that the vibration didn't go away after the new tires were put on. That leads me to believe it's not a tire problem. Good luck.

mr.travo

The front axleshafts as you describe them seem to me to be normal. Mine spin freely when the hub is unlocked and I am able to slide them in and out a bit. For some reason, your vibration makes me think of a driveshaft that is out of balance or bent, or a bent rear axleshaft. It may also be a bent wheel as mentioned before, but you would think the vibration would go away or change when the tires were rotated. Your dryrotted tire may have something to do with the vibration, but you noted that the vibration didn't go away after the new tires were put on. That leads me to believe it's not a tire problem. Good luck.

I have replaced the u joints around the same time I did the tires. I know what a rear drive shaft feels like when it is out of balance or the u joints are going bad. This doesn't seem to feel the same at all. I can feel this directly from the front. Nothing in the rear cargo area is really shaking, only the front area. (Please don't take this statement as an attack to insult you. I know where you are coming from :) )

I will call Discount tomorrow and see if I can't run up there to have them look at the tire. I just hope it's that and not something more serious.

On a side note- where can you order new OEM rims from at a DECENT price? Wouldn't a computerised tire balancing machine pick up a bent rim? The whole thing makes me think because the old tires weren't as rough as a ride at ALL. I don't know what it is yet, but I am going to get down to the bottom of this.

mr.travo

Ok, I went to Discount yesterday and got the tires balanced and rotated and talked about my problem tire. He agreed that it looked like dry rot starting. He said the manufacturers warranty is a new tire at a prorated cost. WTF???? If the tire have a 55,000 mile "warranty" and it is coming apart at 4,000 miles (not even), why do I need to pay a prorated amount??? Doesn't make ANY sense to me. I am going to call and complain about that crap.

Outside of that I found the source of the problem. I have two bent rims. They aren't bad, just enough to cause a vibration. He threw it on the tire balancer and had it spin. I could see the wobble caused by the rim. He explained to be over time the steel rims will heat up and cool (naturally), so after a decade or two, they start to warp ever so slightly. So if anyone else is having this problem, I would get it checked.

I hope this helps someone else out as well. If anyone knows a place that is low priced that sells new factory rims, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IF after you replace the two bent rims (you can pick them up at almost ANY salvage yard) and you still have vibration, I have one other thing you can check. Oh and most bent rims I've found occurred because the vehicle had jumped a curb or something similar. Given these are 4x4 MILITARY chances are high that's where the 'bent' part came from.

I recently replaced the u-joints in my 91 Suburban. I was looking at the rear yoke and it seemed to wobble a little bit. Turned out it was loose. Barely. So my buddy who is a master mechanic had me remove it, clean it and then we put it back on and tightened to spec.

VIBRATION HAS BEEN FIXED. I now no longer feel any vibration in the drive line. And while I do understand that a vibration can appear to be coming from the front or rear, you never know until you start removing parts and checking on the WHOLE DRIVE LINE.

just food for thought.

mr.travo

Thanks Wallew! I will check it out and double check everything from there. About the rims- I am trying to stay away from a salvage yard for that because I want to do it right the first time and be done with it (at least for another 26 years, LOL). I would like to keep it factory, but if it's going to be an arm, leg, and child, then I will just go the aftermarket route and find something that is powder coated black and looks close.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks