• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 front axle

2deuce

My axle seal leaks and there is alot of slop in the lower joint. I also want to repack the wheel bearings but I can't get the spindle off. The manual says it may be necessary to tap the spindle but thats not working. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

2deuce

I haven't had this apart before so I'm unsure of the process. I removed the lockout off the end of the spindle, and the clip off the end of the axle. The spring and the center gear of the lockout came out when I took out the keeper screw. I think that would release the gear off the axle and let the outer part of the lockout be removed but it doesn't come out. So I'm unable to get to the nut that should be behind it.
My other concern is that I can turn the spindle almost a turn and a half without the driveline or the other wheel moving. Its rough too, not smooth slack. It doesn't seem good but someome with experience hopefully knows. This might explain why I have trouble engaging 4WD. I should clarify that the rough turn and a half is with the hub locked in. Its smooth when free, I think the wheel bearings are good.
I loaned this vehicle to my teenage daughter to use for school and work transportation which I already know was a big mistake, but thats another story.
I don't think its ready for the big hammer yet but I'm ready and having a little trouble holding back.
Thanks

dilvoy

There is a snap ring in the rim of the hub extension that holds the main part of the locking hub assy. Clean the grease off and get a little screw driver and you will find it. Once out the main locking hub part should come out.

CCATLETT1984

the snap ring that you are looking for now, is located right at the outer edge of the HUB, its holding the inner gear in. remove it and everything will come out fine. and in regards to the slack you are noticing, if both lockouts are engaged and its taking that much movement you need to change the backlash in the axle, on a 10bolt that can be done without removing the carrier from the axle, but should be done by someone with experience working on axles.

2deuce

I have removed the snap ring at the outer edge on the splined axle that looks as tho it should have held the inner gear but it still won't move. Its hard to believe I'm missing something. So your saying there are 2 snap rings? I have removed one, but can't see another. Thanks

CCATLETT1984

yes there are two, the one you removed just holds the axle shaft inside the hub, so it stays against the seal on the back side of the spindle.

the one that you still need to remove is a LARGE one right at the outer edge of the hub, I will take a picture for you tomorrow.