• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 fuel contamination

jimm1009

I have been plagued with a fuel contamination problem for a couple of years.
I have added a small pre-filter as a temporary measure to protect my electric fuel pump.
I have changed the filters, flushed the lines, and even took the tank off and scrubbed it clean.
I figured that since the problem would not go away that the tank want not cleaned well enough
and to have it done professionally was the cost of a new tank so I installed a new tank.
Still have what appears to be "tan colored sand" in my fuel.
I have used continue to use algacide in my fuel as I no longer drive it every day (I did for 20 years).
I am thinking of contacting a laboratory to see if they could tell me what is coming through the filter.
Thoughts? I always used clean, filtered fuel and if there was a doubt I used a 1 micron filter sock to
make sure.
jimm1009

jimm1009

The "sand" is right out of the tank. The in-line filter is before the electric pump which is about 1 foot forward of the tank. Then the electric pump and then the OEM firewall mounted filter.
I do not have a filter in the return line and thought about it but at teh same time the only cause would be the injection pump and the truck would have quit running by now as this is about a
2,000 mile, 2 year old problem at this time.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to be sure, take some tape and wrap some around the fuel cap. Just enough so you can tell if someone is messing with you. I'd hate to think someone would do this, but it happens.

When you installed the new tank, did you reuse any of the components from the old tank. Like old fill line or fuel socks, etc. that might be breaking down. Just a thought. Good luck.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another possability is that it is coming from the source. Get a clean fuel can and fill it from the usual gas station, then transfer it to another container through a filter and check. A long time ago someone posted a warning about fuel getting contaminated when you filled up close to the point where the tanks were being refilled due to sediment in the bottom of the tanks.

ridenby

Are you buying/pumping fuel at a station? Or out of home tank/cans? The filters are stopping the sand from getting to injection pump? If so I am guessing you just are tired of changing filters?

nyoffroad

If you changed the tank AND flushed the lines at the same time it has to be the fuel you are getting. Do you get it mostly at the same place? I never NEVER get fuel at small mom-pop type stations anymore, I had a bad tankfull from one once and that was enough. But the real question is why have you put up with this for so long?

BTW, dump the biocide! It's only for alge and is just an extra expense.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Has to be from either sabotage or from where you get your fuel, fuel source.
A few great idea's, clean fuel can, get a few gallons and check fuel for contaminates. Being in Louisiana are the fuel stations bulk reserve above ground or under ground?

Most fuel stations by now from federal law have new bulk containers that do not or will in the future not leak from corrosion and leach into the ground. So if sand or dirt gets in the bulk tank could be from source of bulk delivery. Most tanks have locks so it is not so easy to contaminate.

Years ago waste materials would be dumped into bulk tanks and sold. So now in Missouri the Weights and Measurements Division of the Missouri Highway Patrol oversee the testing of fuel stations accordingly that dispense all commercial fuels for sale. Unfortunately the practice still happens and stations are caught either selling water or dumping waste products.

Find a station with new equipment and you still take the chance of bad fuel. Sometimes the cheapest isn't always the best.