• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Fuel filter mounting plate leak

helishredd

I need some help figuring out the fuel filter mounting plate and a fuel leak (86 M1009). First let me say the engine has been running like a top for almost 2K miles since I got it in Sept. I started noticing a leak on ground. I removed the fuel filter on firewall last night. Interestingly no fuel seemed to come out the drain at all but the filter is full. I noticed 3 metal probes and one plastic one which the filter fits onto. The plastic one came off in my hand. I suspect that is why I have a leak. From the manual online (so grateful this is avail. here) it looks like it bolts on from behind? My question is: is the plastic probe (sensor?) part of the mounting plate or does the plate slip over it because it is on a part behind it? Do I need to buy a mounting plate or fix something behind it?

Can I fix this myself or should I get a mechanic? thanks much Chris

EO2NMCB

The Plastic sensor is for the water in fuel, there are a few surplus dealers that sell them. Also from time to time they are on ebay. Your fuel on the ground, Can you see it coming from the filter? Fuel will some times leak from the bottom of the IP into the valley under the intake then run down the back of the eng. If it only does it when the eng is cold, but stops when the eng is warm, you have worn seals in the IP. The seals will expand when the eng warms up.

kentuckycucv

do some searching on here... look up "fuel filter" and fuel pressure switch. I found out how to fix the all to common problem of a leaky fuel pressure switch. It was letting air into the system causing my rig to start then die then It was out of fuel till I cranked and cranked.... air in the lines, what a pain.... Anyway I fixed mine with a 1/4 inch tap and a screw.