• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 fuel filter problems

jsuandrew

So I've been having some similar issues with my M1009 on a cold start like many other threads I've read on here. It cranks right off the bat, runs 2-3 seconds, goes dead, and then it puffs white smoke for 10-15 seconds and finally it will start. I've replaced the glow plugs with the OEM Wellmans, replaced the relay, and even put the glow plugs on a manual switch. So I figured it was a problem with air getting into the fuel lines. I have the original fuel filter base so I put on a new fuel filter. At the same time, I replaced all the rubber hose from the fuel filter to the engine and also the two drain lines. I also took the H2O sensor off and put it back on with some sealer. When I got it all buttoned back together and cranked it, fuel started pouring out of the top drain line off of the side of the filter. I'm new to this whole diesel mechanic thing and it's frustrating the crap out of me. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

jdeoliveira74

sounds like the bleeder is open.. you have to bleed all air out of the line before the fuel will get to the motor.... I am also new switched out my fuel filter with a spin on with a primer pump. If you do a search for how to change the fuel filter you should find what you need.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look where it was squirting out you should see a little plastic knob
with an X on it If I remember right. This is the bleeder valve. Close it after you bleed the filter
and you should be ok.

jsuandrew

Alrighty, I looked at the fuel filter this AM and I made sure the bleeder valve was nice and tight........it was actually cracked at the very tip of the threads. With a little epoxy the crack is now fixed. I let it dry, put some teflon tape on the threads, screwed it back in and no leaks from the bleeder valve...whew! Only problem now, I've got fuel coming out of the top drain hose that is located to the side of the bleeder valve. Did I do something wrong?

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this on ebay for 20 +13 for shippin

I do not know the seller

CUCV Stanadyne Fuel Filter Housing

jsuandrew

Well just as an update, I have the fuel filter problem fixed. I went with a whole new set up....Wix screw on filter and base. It was the best mod I've made to my M1009 yet! Now it starts up first crank every morning and is now a daily driver. Thanks for all the advise and input.

Efituned

I have been having the same problem. I thought it was my glow plug relay or module, but I seem to be getting air in the lines. The area under the fuel filter is wet. I plan on changing to a screw on filter.