• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Fuel gauge...

CycleJay

Hello Stan,

No worries, I will not run out of fuel. I will keep my eye on the new gauge,
and I also know what she sounds like when she is near empty, so I can get
to the nearest diesel station before I run out.

I know what a pita it is to restart a diesel engine after it completely runs out of fuel.
(I speak from personal experience.. ugh..)

Thanks...

Good night...

CycleJay

By the way,

Does anyone know how much fuel is left in a stock M1009 27 gallon tank, when a working fuel gauge reads "Empty"?

Just my $0.02 cents...

CycleJay

No, not a trick question.

Even I know there is always some left in the system, before the engine stops running from,
lack of fuel.

So I was wondering if any of you guys would know.

Just my $0.02 cents...

M1031CMT

Just thought I would add a little something to this thread.

Was having problems with the fuel gauge on my M1009. I followed the steps in the manual to check to see what the problem was and it ended up coming back as the dash gauge being faulty. So I went and pulled the dash apart to get to the gauge and popped it out. Easy enough.

Here is the old one:

2012-12-18_15-20-31_243.jpg2012-12-18_15-20-15_407.jpg

Then I went into my instrument cluster parts bin for a fuel gauge and ended up realizing that I didn't have a diesel gauge. I only had a gas gauge I pulled from a civi truck a while back. Looked pretty much the same except for the diesel one having "Unleaded Diesel Fuel Only" on it while the gasser one just had a fuel pump symbol on it. As well as the diesel one having some resistors on the back of the gauge. I thought that these resistors were needed due to something with the diesel pump in the tank. But after finding this thread, I saw the pictures posted by SouthernSteel of his gauge without the resistors on the back. So I said to heck with it and put the gasser gauge in to see if it would work.

Popped in the gasser gauge, turned the key and the gauge seemed to work and showed 1/2 full. But since the other gauge never worked and I didn't know if I actually had a 1/2 tank I went outside to the diesel pump and filled a 5 gallon gas container and then dumped it in the truck. Then I went back in the truck and turned the key and it went from 1/2 to almost 3/4. It works!

So it looks as if a standard gas gauge will work in the truck if that is all you have. I read somewhere else on the net that you absolutely need a diesel gauge for it to work, but it doesn't look like that is the case. I would prefer the gauge to have "Diesel" written on it, but this will do fine. At least I know how much fuel I actually have in the truck for once. At worst I can use my label maker to put a "Diesel Only" sticker on the gauge.

Hope that helps someone else.

Last edited:

HOWEY

Where purchased?

CycleJay

"I just got the gauge in the mail today"...

Hey CycleJay , how much was it, and is it the same colour as the original?
Thanks.....

Last edited:
Wow,Glad to see my pictures helped :]. I feel so privledged Merry christmas yall.Im still ironing out some electrical gremlins so i dont have a dash pad installed yet. i will eventually put it back in. Im thinkin about the LMC circuit board eventually as i have replaced mine twice age sure does take its toll on those things thats for sure :]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks