• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 fuel pump

mangus580

kipman, in addition to my answer via PM, you could also pick one up for a 95-99 6.5 diesel. They are more expensive, but might be better suited...

Westech

CPL
Why on earth would you want to replace the pump with a electric one? You have to fab it in its not going to be a bolt in, and the wires to control it... for my 30 bucks I will stick with the factory type pump.

stuinnh

CUCV electric fuel pump

An electric fuel pump cures problem with starting truck after running out of fuel. It also starts pumping and priming system as soon as key it put in on position. It also installs in fuel line just before filter. Easy install just 1 wire to fuse box. No need to remove mechanical pump.

Westech

CPL
I guess I just have never had a problem with the pump.. had to replace one but after that... trouble free. Never a problem starting hot or sub zero, Think that money is better spent on air fresheners and hula girls on the dash.

kipman

Westy, I have 3000 hula girls for cheap from gl, replaced one of these on a truck I sold, GM went to inline for a reason, tell the better half I said hi, hope all is going well.

SmokeyDod

Pardon me, I could be wrong, but if you run it out of fuel, the std fuel pump will start fuel in about 5-6 turns of engine, however your problem is the fuel be out or low & air in line at the fuel filter, which you will have to bleed as normal. So I don't think electric pump would solve the real problem area.

kipman

One of the advantages is being able to bleed the system with one person, turn key on and you have fuel pressure, no wear and tear on the starter.

blzrgb

The reason i converted one of my 1008's to electric pump is i was bleeding the system once and broke the nose cone smooth off the 24 volt starter. I then also coverted it to a 12 volt starter. The electric pump works perfect for bleeding, but the smart trhing is don't let it ever run outta fuel.:p

kipman

Good for filter change, finding a leak and lack of wear on the starter. also, when you hit the key you have fuel pressure without cranking.

Armada

Carry an inline solenoid pump as a back-up pump incase the mechanical goes out. Otherwise replace the mechanical and be done with it. They have an anti-siphon feature in them that keeps the fuel from draining back to the tank. You can also run the fuel out, refuel, and the mechanical pump will reprime the lines and start the engine without bleeding the air. It will take a little extra cranking but works.
When running an electric pump dry they will become damaged in no time. The fuel is the lubricant for them and they are not designed to be run dry.
If you find that you MUST put an electric pump in, mount it closer to the tank as they are better 'pushers' than 'pullers'. Also be sure to put the correct inline filter in front of it. Diesel is notoriously dirty and it will GREATLY extend the life of the pump.
2cents

HelluvaEngineer

Just to chime in...I just went through this nonsense and considered an electric pump. I decided to change the mechanical pump instead, mostly due to the fact that the appeal of my m1009 was the lack of electronics in favor of simple systems. Changing the mech. pump sucked and took me about 3 hours for various reasons.

Anyway, then I added a new fuel filter assembly with a hand primer pump. I got the truck started again in about 20 seconds of cranking (not all at once). Just throwing it out there. A hand primer brings a lot to the party.

peglegwillie

Had over 1/4 tank of fuel. Before I purchased my M1009. Supposedly the tank was removed, cleaned out and electric in line fuel pump installed along with filter. Twice now it has shut down, possibly overheating plus filter clogged. After researching info on here going to replace electric pump with better one plus install filters before and after pump.
appreciate the responses I have received. Been a very big help to my self in maintenance and operation of my T3.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supposedly the tank was removed, cleaned out and electric in line fuel pump installed along with filter. Twice now it has shut down, possibly overheating plus filter clogged.
So why was the tank cleaned out, and what were the filter(s) clogged with? If there's bacteria in the tank, you'll be changing filters a lot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks